• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Shifter Cable Bushings FTL

greasemonkey1489

Hard-core CEG'er
While I was under my car changing the oil today, I spotted my shifter cable end barely hanging on to the shift tower. When I touched it, the bushing just fell out. So all along, I thought my transmission was wearing out because 1st, 2nd, and reverse were a pain to shift into. For some reason, the play in the shifter didn't alarm me at all... So on a sunday, I was left to "ghetto-rig" a bushing. I'm actually quite pleased with what I came up with and I won't hesitate to leave it there forever..!

On the left is the rotten bushing, about 2/3 of it left. On the right is my "bushing." I used rubber hose, a plastic cap that fit right inside, a c-clip and a washer to make sure it doesnt fall out. It was a pretty snug fit so the washer and c-clip were more for my peace of mind. Hopefully this will help others in the future.

ShifterCableFix.jpg

Nice ghetto fix for the win!

I made a lim rod out of a battery tie down bar, two nuts and 2 washers. Works like a charm and I never have to worry about the stupid clips breaking ever again!

Nice! Maybe I should get underneath mine and check it out. I have play in the shifter itself but I don't have any trouble getting it into any gears...

Back