• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Shipping an Engine?!?!

Reebs

meester super sleuth
Hey guys,

As some of you have seen, I have a 2.5L SVT motor for sale in the classifieds. I have some interest, but it would require me to ship it! I have never shipped an engine or trans before, so I have no clue how I would go about doing that and getting an estimate for shipping. I am just looking for any tips from those who have shipped items like this. I would be shipping just the engine (block, heads, intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, etc...) without the trans. Do you have to make a custom wooden crate for it, or is there a company that specalizes in shipping engines. I would love if a company would come to my house, crate it up, and take it away. :crazy: I just don't want to much hassle trying to ship it.

Also, does anyone know an estimated weight of the 2.5L SVT engine!?!

Let me know how much you payed, who you went through, and where it was shipped to/from. Any other info appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

its going to cost quite a bit to ship it. You'll need to look into a freight company, it will need to be put on a pallet at the minimum.

Im suprised anyone bothers to ship motors when there are generally a few available locally. I guess your buyer wants the legitimacy of an svt motor ;).

Estimated wait is north of 300 lbs

I just had an engine shipped to me via UPS freight. The 3L weighed in at 340 lbs. The used a wooden pallet on the botton and the engine was sitting on a tire and that was all strapped down and wrapped in plastic. The engine came to me in perfect condition and shipping from Rhode Island to Ohio was $150.

I had an antique leather chair and footstool shipped from Maine to Seattle by "Craters and Freighters." They picked up the chair from the antique dealer, built a styrofoam-lined heavy cardboard box on a pallet for it and shipped it. It cost me almost $400, but it was absolutely a beautiful job. The shipper was even prepared to unpack it at my front door and bring it into the house for me (but it was too much like Christmas and I wanted to do it myself!)

Of course they wouldn't have to take anywhere near as much care with an engine. The point is, they took care of everything.

www.cratersandfreighters.com

i would recommend crating it. it'd suck to find out that your engine was delivered with a forklift shaped hole in the oil pan.

i would recommend crating it. it'd suck to find out that your engine was delivered with a forklift shaped hole in the oil pan.

Agreed! I waited in the shipping warehouse as these guys unloaded the trucks to get my engine. They were playing bumper cars with their fork lifts and the packages were handled terribly. I'm just glad my engine made it out in once piece.

it doesnt matter where you go, immaturity doesnt change places just people. haha. i went to an auto high school and recently graduated froman auto tech school and they all used pallets wrapped in plastic, they ALWAYS come in good shape. i mean not shipper error good shape anyway. haha.

Heres how my engine came from Buckshot. I resused the box and shipped out my 2.5L block and heads. I think the cost was ~$130 iirc by UPS.

pics022.jpg

Heres how my engine came from Buckshot. I resused the box and shipped out my 2.5L block and heads. I think the cost was ~$130 iirc by UPS.

pics022.jpg

Is that just 3/4 OSB, and is it just nailed together with finish nails? Or is it screwed? It just doesn't seem sturdy enough. Did you just carry that into the post office and drop it off on the desk for them to weigh it!?!? :crazy: I appreciate the pic, I just would like a few more details.

Thanks guys.

Jeff

Yes, i believe it was 3/4" OSB. And it was screwed together. My UPS actually has a large scale around back for heavy items like this. It was plenty sturdy. Made it my house in one piece and when I used it to send my 2.5L to another guy, the same box held up fine.

That type of shipping only works on shortblocks and you have to use 5/8" OSB. 3/4" will put you over the 150lb weight limit to use standard UPS. If you're shipping a full engine and want to make sure it's not going to get damaged you'll want to put in on a pallet and then build a crate around it. For ease of use, you can go with fedex freight for shipments over $150, but you're going to pay for it too. Your best bet is to find a friend who has a shipping account setup that you can use. Typically you get 50%+ discount for having an account.

FYI, my crates for shortblocks have been destroyed twice by UPS and caused a full value insurance claim each time even if I did have to go through their arbitration crap to get it. Always make sure to take pictures of the crating and packing job before shipping. My blocks all get wrapped in numerous layers of shrink wrapping to seal up any possibility of dirt or other contaminates from getting in. Then the crate is built to a tight tolerance around the shortblock to keep it from bouncing around. The only damage occurs when the shipper drops the crate or otherwise breaks it open. All the sides are screwed together and most customers tell me it takes a good 10-15 minutes to get the actual crate open.

Rick

I know...there are large Rubbermaid containers with lids that can hold big objects. IIRC, Terry Haines recommends a certain one for shipping transmissions.

all dealerships and some auto shops will use these to ship motors and trans in.
i work for a trucking freight company and pick-up and deliver these alot.
its nothing like rubbermaid-these are 2-3 times thicker ,they seperate in the middle and are help together by a very tight rubber bungie. next time in at a shop or dealer i will ask where they get them.
if you have a local shop that does any type of dealer service or warenty work i would go there.
my company does ship a lot of motors that are just straped to a plt. and wraped in shrink wrap. with no problems.
i had a motor ship to me from maine on a plt and was on the dock in 4 days without a scratch .
where ever you go make sure the motor is sealed because those trailers can get very dusty and dirty .

That type of shipping only works on shortblocks and you have to use 5/8" OSB. 3/4" will put you over the 150lb weight limit to use standard UPS. If you're shipping a full engine and want to make sure it's not going to get damaged you'll want to put in on a pallet and then build a crate around it. For ease of use, you can go with fedex freight for shipments over $150, but you're going to pay for it too. Your best bet is to find a friend who has a shipping account setup that you can use. Typically you get 50%+ discount for having an account.

FYI, my crates for shortblocks have been destroyed twice by UPS and caused a full value insurance claim each time even if I did have to go through their arbitration crap to get it. Always make sure to take pictures of the crating and packing job before shipping. My blocks all get wrapped in numerous layers of shrink wrapping to seal up any possibility of dirt or other contaminates from getting in. Then the crate is built to a tight tolerance around the shortblock to keep it from bouncing around. The only damage occurs when the shipper drops the crate or otherwise breaks it open. All the sides are screwed together and most customers tell me it takes a good 10-15 minutes to get the actual crate open.

Rick

I am the warehouse manager of a place in madison heights. You would have to tell me the weight and size and where it is going to get an accurate cost.
You are going to end up taking the motor somewhere to wrap it and put it in the back of a truck with a hi-low. Its not like you can just chuck a 200 pound motor into the back of a semi.
If you need any help PM me

Back