• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

95 Duratec - brake line to rear

vtraudt

CEG'er
One of the brake lines to the rear brakes is leaking right where the lines run under the passenger side door and start upwards into the wheel wire/fire wall, with no room to make a new flare.
So I want to replace the line starting at the master cylinder connection, run the new line down and over to under the door with room to make the flare connections. Since I don't have to follow the current path, what is the easiest route?

a) is there an easy way to find out WHICH line is leaking? It is not possible to trace them behind the motor
b) If I can't determine which one, I would replace both rear ones?
c) at the master, which are the rear connections?
d) what is the easiest way method to reach and loosen the connection at the master?
d) can I prevent that the system drains out and needs complete bleeding (or is that needed anyway)?
f) what is the line size to be used?
g) what is the connector I need to connect to the master so I can get the right one

Thanks.

Similar problem...

Similar problem...

I have a very similar problem with my 1995 Contour. Rear brake line rusted/leaking just ahead of the passenger side rear wheel. The lines go behind other components and are hard to follow. Nor does the Haynes manual show a brake line diagram so I am working in the dark. Unfortunately no one answered this thread.

i traced mine and from what i can tell it's bottom 2 that go to the rear. you can proly get to them by moving the wiring harness connector on the strut tower and the intake to give you some room. then they run to the passenger side of the car and down to the fuel tank where they are between the fuel tank and the sub-frame. after that i can't tell because i can't get my hand any further up and the car is on the ground. this is all on my zetec mtx so i'm not sure if it's different then on the duratec and these are also my best guess. so anyone can chime in with a better answer.

Back