• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zetec vs Duratec 20

mcgarvey

Veteran CEG'er
So, by now I'm sure everyone has heard that the new Focuses will be rolling off the line with either the Duratec 20, or for the top of the line ST, the Duratec 23. However, I haven't been able to find much information, other than a few photographs, on the new engine (D20). It looks almost identical to the zetec in the pictures I've seen, even the layout under the hood is nearly the same as on contours. What I'm wondering is this-- How similar is our zetec to the new Duratec 20s? If they are as similar as they look, this could open up some new possibilities for upgrading parts. I'm sure it's too early to tell, but I'm also curious if the new Duratec 20 is as reliable as the good old Zetec.

Hopefully someone has some more information, I haven't really found much because it just simply isn't available, as far as I can tell.

the duratec has been in the focus since 05. i believe the inatke and exhaust manifolds are flipped relative to our engines. since its a completly different engine i dont think their aftermarket will be of any help to us. as for reliability my Dads 03 Mazda 6 with the D23 has over 120k miles on it already and it runs just as good as the day he bought it.

They are also running coil-on-plug ignition and DSI (direct fuel injection). But, yeah, they are completely different.

I don't know about crank/pistons/rods or even the bore/stroke. I'm guessing it's totally different considering the engine as all aluminum. The main caps on our engine are probably narrower being iron.

BP

So I guess the zetec is officially dead? I'm not sure but there may still be cars in production overseas with the smaller 1.6 and 1.8 zetecs. Can anyone confirm?

They are also running coil-on-plug ignition and DSI (direct fuel injection). But, yeah, they are completely different.

I don't know about crank/pistons/rods or even the bore/stroke. I'm guessing it's totally different considering the engine as all aluminum. The main caps on our engine are probably narrower being iron.

BP

As far as I know, only the MZR motor in the Mazdaspeed6/3/CX-7/etc. use direct gas injection which is why the motors can be boosted reliably with such a high compression ratio (for a turbo motor that is). Run of the mill 'tec 20/23's use port injection.

Last edited:
you are correct. the standard duratech is still port injection and the boosted series (MZR) is direct injection

Back