• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My winter project

starjammir

Hard-core CEG'er
No its not a SVT lol. But for the past year or so I have been in the market for a bike and I found the perfect one on craigslist. So last night at 10 pm my girlfriend, her brother, and I all drove a hour and half to pick this thing up. This thing is almost mint. There is one small crack on the one fairing and a small piece missing from the rear seat. All with only 11k original miles on it, clean title and original paint too.
Here she is:
1027081417.jpg

1986 Ninja 600r
Its stock except for a 4 into 1 Vance Hanes exhaust.
1027081418.jpg

I got a spare motor with it too :)
Its going to be painted this spring too. Just have to find the right colors. Any other suggestions since this is my first bike :)

first crotch rocket? im assuming so it should be a great starter bike, but im sure within a couple months you'll want something more powerfull.

for color, I would go a deep blue with some silver stripes on it maybe?

...within a couple months you'll want something more powerfull...

I don't know -- the Ninja was pretty well-regarded in the 1980s. It was well-known for being fast. I bet it's pretty competitive at this point for casual riding.

I don't know -- the Ninja was pretty well-regarded in the 1980s. It was well-known for being fast. I bet it's pretty competitive at this point for casual riding.

You don't know starjammr very well do you? He'll want something faster before long, lol.

Heck, most people that buy a NEW 600 sized bike these days will usually buy a bigger bike within a year or two. And the new 600s are much much faster than an 80s vintage ninja.

btw Bill, good for you for getting such a great starter bike. You should have a ton of fun. I used to ride quite a bit when i was a kid (owned a tiny little Yam YSR50, lol, but rode a lot of my brother's and his friend's bikes a lot.) but when I started thinking about getting another bike here in MI, I decided against it until I moved out of here, lol. If I can ever get out of here, I'll probably pick up something like an R6 to get back into it.

YAY more replies lol.
Ron- Ya, its my first street bike. I used to ride dirt bikes back in 01 but since then I havent rode any kid of bike cept for a pedal one. For paint I was leaning toward the new Buick white pearl with some kind of black since my gear is white and black. Something like this:
12989_0_1_2_gpx%20600%20r_Image%20credits%20-%20Ovi%20Pogaceanu.jpg

Kim- I have never rode a street bike before, but my girlfriend and I are taking the MSF in the spring so we will have experience. I already got the jacket and helmet. She said she is going to get my the pants, gloves, and boots for x-mas so I should be prepared.

Laura- I was either going to get a Ninja GPZ (which I did) or a FZR 600. I was on my way to get a FZR but the guy called me and it sold, so I found this on craigslist and said why not?

Brian- LOL I dunno about something faster because I granny drive my cars and keep telling myself if I want to do anything dumb I have a SVT that will get me there fast enough :) I think after a few years on this one (and lots of learning) I will upgrade to a R6. My girlfriends brother (who is only 18) is buying a 636 and said I can ride that if I want. He has been on bikes his whole life and has taught me tons about this bike already. We are planning on a lot of things for it this winter so hopefully it will all work out. I know I will end up dumping it (or so I hear you always dump your first bike) so I bought a older one to learn on and learn about.
Thanks for the comments though guys :)

You will have fun dude, I had bikes in high school and they are soooo fun, just watch all around you all the time cause alot of drivers are careless around motorcycles.

You will have fun dude, I had bikes in high school and they are soooo fun, just watch all around you all the time cause alot of drivers are careless around motorcycles.

so true man its usually the case of the driver in a car hitting the biker, then the biker doing something stupid and getting hurt. clear your intersections and if I were you I would either get a really bright colored helmet or wear something really bright so other drivers can see you.

Nice effort Bill. My 3rd bike was a used '84 GPZ750. A Ninja without the fairings. Stout motor. Your 600 is plenty of bike to cut your teeth on. Ride smart.

Kim- I have never rode a street bike before, but my girlfriend and I are taking the MSF in the spring so we will have experience. I already got the jacket and helmet. She said she is going to get my the pants, gloves, and boots for x-mas so I should be prepared.

I know your new bike is a Kawa but if you join Honda Riders Club of America for $19.95 a year you can get a check back for $75 after completing the MSF course. That is net $55 in your pocket
www.hrca.com
I don't think they check or require you to be a registered Honda owner.

And that 600 is still quite a bike and can get you in trouble quick. Be careful and glad to hear you are buying proper apparel to ride, make sure you always use it.

I know your new bike is a Kawa but if you join Honda Riders Club of America for $19.95 a year you can get a check back for $75 after completing the MSF course. That is net $55 in your pocket
www.hrca.com
I don't think they check or require you to be a registered Honda owner.
SOB! I wish I'd known that a month ago! DEFINITELY take a motorcycle safety course. Best (and smartest) money you'll ever spend as you get into the hobby/lifestyle. I've barely been riding for a week now, and I'm pretty much addicted.

im sure within a couple months you'll want something more powerfull.

LOL! Ron, the guy has one of the most powerful N/A cars on here, and he drives it like a grandma. He doesn't (not can't) even keep up with me.

new Buick white pearl with some kind of black

Going to fit right in in Flint. Will you be wearing a feather in your helmet too?

She said she is going to get my the pants, gloves, and boots for x-mas so I should be prepared.

I swear to god that girl takes good care of you.

SOB! I wish I'd known that a month ago! DEFINITELY take a motorcycle safety course. Best (and smartest) money you'll ever spend as you get into the hobby/lifestyle. I've barely been riding for a week now, and I'm pretty much addicted.

Unfortunately, in Texas we don't have the nice state subsidized motorcycle training classes that they do in Michigan. My mother's class (in Michigan) was like $15, including bike being supplied and everything, where as when I looked at getting mine, all of the private instruction schools that we have here in the Dallas area are around $175-200+. They don't make it very easy to take the test without one of the private schools either, unless you have a friend with a spare bike for you to ride, and a car to drive the test examiner around with.

Very nice

Brings back memory's of mine. A little top heavy with a full tank, did I say little :eek:

Be careful and Enjoy

Unfortunately, in Texas we don't have the nice state subsidized motorcycle training classes that they do in Michigan. My mother's class (in Michigan) was like $15, including bike being supplied and everything, where as when I looked at getting mine, all of the private instruction schools that we have here in the Dallas area are around $175-200+. They don't make it very easy to take the test without one of the private schools either, unless you have a friend with a spare bike for you to ride, and a car to drive the test examiner around with.

MSF has two courses:

"Basic" for first time, never before riders, 2 day class, they supply the bikes, gas, helmets, etc. - $175
"Experienced" for current riders with their own bike, helmet, jacket, boots & gloves, 1 day class - $80

Either course completion usually gives you a ~10% discount on your insurance for 3 years. And many states acccept the MSF certificate instead of taking a driving exam for your MC endorsement on license.

Back