• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zetec PCV Valve - Could it be any more of a pain???

Scorpion8

Hard-core CEG'er
Usually replacing the PCV valve on most engines is a ten minute affair. I spent almost an hour removing the heat shield before I realized this job required the thermostat block and many hoses to be removed. What a freakin' $#@%%^&*. Could they have put this in a more stupid place?

Anybody have a better method of getting to the Zetec PVC valve?

The zetec thermostat housing gaskets love to leak on these cars, so why not pick up a gasket, new t-stat, and pcv valve, and do it all at once?

I should add, it's where the thermostat housing meets the head that leaks, not where the thermostat is sandwiched. But thermostats are cheap, and a good routine maintenance item if you're interested in fuel economy.

The zetec thermostat housing gaskets love to leak on these cars, so why not pick up a gasket, new t-stat, and pcv valve, and do it all at once?

I should add, it's where the thermostat housing meets the head that leaks, not where the thermostat is sandwiched. But thermostats are cheap, and a good routine maintenance item if you're interested in fuel economy.

i agree with this, and probably should do it myself haha.

The zetec thermostat housing gaskets love to leak on these cars....

Mine doesn't, but I already have a few spares laid in for the next time I pull it. Since it comes off for almost any work in that area of the engine, and now include PCV-valve changeout to that list, it helps to have a few spares.

250K miles and mine never once leaked. never replaced the gasket either.

250K miles and mine never once leaked. never replaced the gasket either.

pretty sure my doesn't either at 228k. although a few years ago over one very cold winter I did discover some antifreeze leaking in that area, I was never able to pin point where it came from. plus it hasn't done that since.

pretty sure my doesn't either at 228k. although a few years ago over one very cold winter I did discover some antifreeze leaking in that area, I was never able to pin point where it came from. plus it hasn't done that since.

Same here...

That's crazy, around here they all seem to leak. It's such a common problem that there are aftermarket manufacturers that now make an improved housing to prevent that problem. Mine leaked, I replaced the gasket, it was fine for two years, and then it leaked again.

You guys must just be lucky.

I have 300k km on my cougars zetec and the t-stat housing doesnt leak. It's used orange coolant its whole life

I was also able to change my PCV without taking anything off. I Have a weapon R header though so I get more room to work. Agreed; its a PITA

The good thing is that the PCV is all of $2 plus tax.
I spend more than that each day at the vending machine.

Back