• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Brake lines leaking/rusted

vtraudt

CEG'er
I just noticed what looks like brake fluid on the passenger side under the car. Looking at the lines that run there, it seems to come from the area where the lines are clipped together. Is that a DIY job? Are prebent sections available to replace the bad sections? Special tools needed?
Car is 1995 Contour V6 auto.

Any advise, comment is appreciated.

IMG_4549.jpg

If you are able to do any sort of work to your car you should be able to replace your brake lines. I suggest replacing the whole line(s) from front to back instead of piecing them back together.For the little money brake line costs it's worth it. I have no idea about prebent lines but most FLAPS sell tubing benders for cheap. I just left the old lines there and zip tied the new ones right to them.Your fuel lines run right along with your brake lines and if your brake lines leaking good chance so will your fuel lines if you start messing with them. The hardest parts will be (1)the driver's side rear line. It runs over top the gas tank and I couldn't get the line through so I ran mine along the back of the tank where I could reach through.(2) Up into the engine compartment to the master cylinder due to very little room between the firewall and the engine. If you have ramps or a way to lift the car up it would make this part easier.I only had a small jack so I couldn't lift the car that high. Also don't touch the brake pedal while the lines are off and make sure you bleed the brakes once you are done to get all the air out of the system.
Wow. That was long winded. lol Hope it helps anyways

You call it long winded, I called detailed and useful! Thanks a bunch. I check how they sell the lines (in what units/length) and get a total of what I need. Will also check fuel lines.

Back