• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dash Clock: Is it supposed to illuminate?

imstock

Veteran CEG'er
Having only owned our Mystique for a couple days now, we are left with a couple of questions.

Most of them I am finding answer to using the search feature or Google (insert applause here), but this is something I doubt I could ever find on the forums.

Is the tiny clock which is located above the radio in the dash with the little red 'alarm' led supposed to illuminate when the headlights are on, or does it stay dim and unreadable at night in every Contour/Mystique? I adjusted the dimmer switch for the instrument back lighting which seemed to adjust everything but the little clock.

Thanks for the help.

Yes, the clock has a bulb but it most likely burned out. It's only available from Ford because it uses a special base.

With lights off (daytime), the clock bulb is fully illuminated. With parking or low beams (night), the bulb will dim down. Since it never shuts off, it burns out quicker than most bulbs on the car.

It's suppose to be lit up. It is actually brighter in the day and at night when you turn your lights on it dims some but is still visible. You can go to the junkyard and get one from an older contour/myst and transfer the green condom from yours over. Or call ford and buy one. Although they are exspensive from the dealer.

Yes, the clock has a bulb but it most likely burned out. It's only available from Ford because it uses a special base.

With lights off (daytime), the clock bulb is fully illuminated. With parking or low beams (night), the bulb will dim down. Since it never shuts off, it burns out quicker than most bulbs on the car.

Wow we posted at the same time!

On the Contour, the clock is seperate from the dash bezel and just pops out. On the Mystique it's all full integrated so you have to removed the bezel from the dash to change the bulb. It's about 5-6 screws. Pop off the covers on the bezel and you'll find the screws. There are 2-3 above the gauge cluster with no cover.

The bulb is unlocked with a small flat head. Just twist to unlock and it will fall out. Swap the green cover from the old bulb onto the new bulb since they don't come with it. Be extremely careful taking it off. They rip easy from being stuck on the bulb after all these years.

Part # E5RY-13466-BA List price $5.40

Forget the green cover

Forget the green cover

I couldn't get the green 'condom' of of my bulb, so I just installed the bulb I got from ford. The clock numerals are now lit up in a nice gold color.

those lights do burn out, I got a couple from a junkyard and of course they didn't work.

On my contour, I just removed the clock, took it apart, and soldered in the smallest bulb I could find at autozone. Soldered it across the metal contacts.
Proper fix? No, but it works.

I couldn't get the green 'condom' of of my bulb, so I just installed the bulb I got from ford. The clock numerals are now lit up in a nice gold color.

you can paint the bulb with a coating of green spray paint to replace the "condom". I ended up ripping the top half of mine when i removed it so i painted the tip of the bulb.

Not sure I want to tear into the dash after just a day of ownership... This goes on the list of things to accomplish though. The wife isnt all that bothered by it anyways.

those lights do burn out, I got a couple from a junkyard and of course they didn't work.

On my contour, I just removed the clock, took it apart, and soldered in the smallest bulb I could find at autozone. Soldered it across the metal contacts.
Proper fix? No, but it works.

yeah you can get the bulb itself from somewhere other than ford. because i just assumed you could get them anywhere, i went to local auto parts store once...they gave me the bulbs but minus the plastic base. i ripped the old ones out, and wedged the new ones in. didn't even solder...worked fine.

Yeah me too, I reused the base with a Sylvania #2721 no sodering, works fine. The Dash Bezel should be pretty easy to remove as long as you find all the screws. As for the green condom, if it can not be saved you can always use a green sharpie to color the bulb or just be happy with the amber illumination of the bare bulb.

mine had been out for years, I went to the track last summer and after some wheel hop at the line the light came back on :laugh:

As far as the green condom goes, you used to be able to buy them from the auto parts store. If I remember right, when I bought mine you had to buy a pack of several different colors. Might be worth checking out.

As far as the green condom goes, you used to be able to buy them from the auto parts store. If I remember right, when I bought mine you had to buy a pack of several different colors. Might be worth checking out.

I was actually looking for those a few months ago for another project around the house and I couldn't find them. :(

Not sure I want to tear into the dash after just a day of ownership... This goes on the list of things to accomplish though. The wife isnt all that bothered by it anyways.

Is the clock not in the center of the dash like in the contour...right under the air vents? If so it should just pop out by itself. No need to unscrew anything. If not guess it shows how many times I have seen the inside of the Mystique :laugh:.......which is never!

I bought a pack of five from Ford 3 years ago and I think it was around $15. I didn't think it was too bad a price. You couldn't just buy one though, it had to be the pack of five.

I can't get the bulb to come out of the plastic base. Any tips?

The green rubber had welded itself to the bulb. Saving it was impossible.

Back