• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cant put the gas down. Have to acelerat slowly! Car just stumbles.

I am realy not sure were to look. If i put the pedal down hard. The car just stumbles(no power) seam's like the motor want's to turn backward's. Then if you let off the gas and let the RPM go up slowly it get's better and better. There is no check engine lite. If i keep the foot down it rock's the car as the engine get's power then no power then power again and so on. Dont even know were to start. Tried to change the timing by turning the front cam backard's compared to the normal 0. That helped for about 2 day's then it came back. So i put the cam back to 0. If somone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sorry for my bad english not my first language.

Yes new plug's and wiere's.
Also chaged the timing belt wen i was triing to change the timing.
Does anybody know what the normal idel timing is?
4 cylindre 98 manual. Ztec?

I had the same problem on my brother's Zetec Mystique. It turned out to be a dirty MAF sensor. You could only touch the gas lightly from a dead stop and lightly to accelerate up to speed. Too much gas and it would just shake and buck like crazy. No CEL either (although his is EEC-IV).

I cleaned it with just a spray of electrical contact cleaner. It worked like a charm and the problem hasn't returned.

My car acted this way when it was low on gas because the fuel pump sock filter was clogged. If your problem goes away when you fill the car up with gas there is your problem - the pump has a high inlet that doesn't go through the sock filter.

ok so this does and doesn't sound similar to my issue. wondering if i need a new maf on my 95 zetec. in the mornings, with a "cold" engine, if I have to get on it will fall flat on its face. when this starts i shift and the power slowly comes back. I held off shifting once and it stalled out and almost didn't want to start again. so I'm not sure if its a vacuum leak or if its running out of fuel. I check the vacuum readings and everything looked to be in spec while driving.

Were can i find the mass air flow? What did you use to clean it?
Thanks.

It's located inside the intake tube just after the filter. DO NOT TOUCH the MAF sensor with anything or you will most likely damage it. Just spray the contact cleaner all over it and let it dry for a few minutes. You don't even need to remove the sensor from the intake assembly.

I will try that. Thanks for the advise. Also can i just unplug it and let the car work in default mode?? Then i could isolate the problem.
Sebastien

Back