• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

AT&T U-Verse???

Coolkuehl3

CEG'er
Has anyone here made the switch from Time Warner Cable to AT&T's U-verse?? What are your thoughts? Is it really any less expensive after you include the cost for ALL the extra boxes for each television set?

I keep getting bombarded with advertising for it and wouldn't mind saving a few bucks if it's really worth it. I am getting tried of my digital cable freezing up at times and making impossible to watch. It seems to happen more and more.

I was about to switch over but AT&T screwed up my DSL so we made the switch over to Comcast Cable modem since we already had cable TV. From what I have been told by friends in the industry, it is a bit cheaper, but AT&T sucks with customer support. They kept telling me there was an outage in my area for three days until they realized they had lost my dry-loop account. Active in the system, but was given to someone else or they didn't know what they were talking about. In any case, I stay the f*** away from AT&T, too many years of sub-par service.

I just got it and it kicks arse! I have always though AT&T was the devil but I really have not had an issue. If you sign up online I think you get $200 back. I called them not knowing that and got $100 back. I think I'm paying 80 a month for TV and high speed internet. I called them to ask about combining with my at&t cell bill and got sold 6mb internet for another $5 a month. Install was great, guy that did it ran a CAT 5 for me. My TV picture was instantly better than with my old DirecTV and now I don't have to worry about a big storm blocking reception. I also don't know how I didn't live life without a DVR. LOL! Holy kick arse! I'd rather rock no TV than deal with Comcast. Funk that company! I have the business card to the guy that installed my stuff and I have a direct number to the woman I talked to on the phone if I have any issues. AT&T are awesome in my book.

Amanda has it at her apartment and it's not bad. I think it's worth getting :cool: She has internet and had cable, but her room mate didn't want to pay for the cable, but the service was good. Internet hasn't had any problems since it was installed at the end of August or so.

well I don't have at&t because there are no contractors in my area. but, I have comcast and let me tell you, there customer service is obsolute crap, but there products are top notch! my internet is so freaking fast it still makes my jaw drop.

and yes todd, dvt does kick arse I just got it a couple weeks ago, marvelous invention!

Not available here yet but im getting it when it is,just waiting for the call..lol.
1 thing i like is you can watch your dvr from any tv with a box you dont have to pay for a bunch of dvr boxes( ive got kids ,right now weve got two dvr boxes)
I agree with todras FUNK comcast

Oh and I can set my DVR from my computer from anywhere. The cable modem they gave me has wireless access too. Say if a friend brings a laptop over he can tap in.:cool: If anyone is planning on getting it could you PM me. If I get a referal I get something like $25 off my next bill.

maybe I should call and see if they finally have contractors in my apartment complex, I wannna switch, and if I do I will pm you todd so we probably would both get money from it.

I have a friend who switched from Dish to U-Verse and he hates it. Bogs out all the time, menu system takes forever, sometimes it doesnt record the end of a program.

Mine is lightning fast. Hands down better than my DirecTV. My DTV receiver was about 4 years old though so that might be why. You can scan 2 weeks out and very quickly. Out of everything I've recorded I haven't missed anything. They gave me SHO and Starz for 3 months free. I have a lot of kick arse movies saved for when it gets dropped. I've never been a big pkg subscriber. Just get the basics and I'll rent movies locally. I love my lightning fast cable modem speeds too. :drool: I think I have the 6mb pkg. I don't have to have my land line like I did when I had DSL. Saves me $50 a month right there.

DirecTV's kept climbing. My pkg started at $30 4 years ago and went to $50. Screw that! Then when I call and cancel they want to do anything they can for me. Tooooooo late. Wish I had U-verse 6 months ago when it came out! I guess it's fed through fiber optic cable too. Probably why my picture is so darn good. If I had an HDTV I don't even think I'd pay the extra $10 a month for the HD.

No U-verse in my area but I may switch when they finally bring it here since Time Warner sucks monkey balls. My DSL has been rock-solid for the last few years except when I moved and they messed up my account. The service itself never went down, they just decided to ignore my requests and changed my account type. Their customer service does suck big time, so if you can avoid any human interaction with your account or service you'll be fine.

U-Verse isn't available in my area too. I just signed up for Dish network, att landline, att dsl and lowered the cell phone plan. I tried signing up for everything online but the website put me in this never ending loop that went nowhere. I called up and mentioned all the online discounts and got them(something like $325 in rebates) Free dish install to 2 rooms, DVR and wiresless capable modem. Saved me me alot even though I added a landline.

Just had it installed last Thurs. Jury's still out, and it sucks learning all new channel #'s. But, it was nice to tell Time Warner to :censored: off and bite the big one. Plus I figure I'll be saving about $30 a mo/ for cable, 'net, and land line. Available rebates vary all over the place, but I'm getting a $100 Visa gift card in the mail, plus another $100 spread over a yr. off my monthly bill. Downside is every TV needs a box like dish set-ups(1 is included, I've got 4 total, so 3 x $5 mo. fee is an additional $15 p/ mo. I have to pay). Upside is you only need 1 DVR and all the other boxes can play off the one. I like it so far... Mainly 'cuz It's not T.W.!

I like that you can go in and hide the channels you will never watch or just plain don't receive. You don't have to shuffle through a million of unsubscribed channels. Oh did I say I love my U-verse?

They are also rolling out the new software upgrade where you can watch any recording on any box in the house. You can also pause on one TV and resume in another room.

I checked it out a couple months ago and it was comparable to my Dish 200 package and my AT&T 3Mbps DSL. Now that they have the new software out with essentially a HD DVR in every room, I've got to look into it again.

I was checking out the milwaukeehdtv.org forums and they say that the HDTV quality is OK. Not great better than Dish but not worse than TWC, and TWC's HDTV is the WORST.

BP

Back