• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

First Ford Contour SVT w/Retrofitted TCS (Traction Control)...?

YOUNEEQSVT

New CEG'er
I tried searching on FCO and here on CEG. I know there's a few CSVT's that came with it new. Wondering about if I can claim the title for first to retrofit. I completed mine around New Years 2010, but hadn't got around to posting a video of it till now. Made the video when it was raining and at night. Sorry if the quality sucks. It shows what it looks like when you go to start it and it's on by default, and then I gun it and you see the TCS light flash and then I hit the button to turn it off (TCS switch light on) and then gun it and the tires just spin, and then I hit the button to turn the TCS back on and gun it to make it kick on again.

You really have to witness it to get a good feel for it but I like it. Saves my tires unless I really wanna spin them, then I just switch it off. I'm gonna try and post another one showing how it works on dry pavement when you get on it. Make some suggestions and maybe I'll try to make better ones.

Youtube video

TCS/Defog combo switch: F8RZ-2C418-BA
ABS HCU: Ford PN: 98BG-2C285-CB - HOLLANDER PN: 545-1374
PCM: SFG2 (may work with others)

ABS HCU (Hydraulic Control Unit)
ABS HCU wTCS - 98BG-2C285-CB - HOLLANDER 545-1374..jpg

ABS HCU close-up (credit to Dom aka BuckeyeSVT @ FCO)
ABS HCU wTCS small..jpg

TCS/Defog combo switch (credit to Dom aka BuckeyeSVT @ FCO)
TCS Defog Switch small..jpg

TCS on CSVT gauge cluster
TCS Light small..jpg

later

Last edited:
That is pretty interesting. I think it will be on a lot in my car if I install this :laugh:, however I'm interested to see what all was involved as well.

I've wondered about this but never asked the question and I guess I thought that you would have to reprogram the ECU or something. I'd like to see how well it works in the snow.

I've wondered about this but never asked the question and I guess I thought that you would have to reprogram the ECU or something. I'd like to see how well it works in the snow.

well from what i understand the abs unit itself is different. also there is coding in the pcm that runs the tc feature that just isn't present or not compelte. or at least that is what I recall from posts in the past.

although a limited few have had TC on a SVT, I believe only one was able to just add the button and have it work.

My 00 SVT has the wiring and i've got a switch in place but TC still does not work.

FWIW, i'm running an SFG0 PCM in the cougar and TC works fine. My assumption is that all you need the the proper wiring to make it work and that all of the code is already in the PCM...

I couldn't tell much from the video other than a light flashing but it sounds like a pretty cool idea as mentioned before it would be cool to see how it works in the snow:cool:

I have TC on my SE, and I turn it OFF in the snow... All it does is get me stuck. The 'Tour-plow needs a little slippage to get through some snow drifts :D. I also had to retrofit the switch in my SE, My SVT doesn't even have the components on the instrument cluster's printed circuit to support the light, neither do any of the other two SVT clusters I have laying around my garage.

Last edited:
My 00 SVT has the wiring and i've got a switch in place but TC still does not work.

FWIW, i'm running an SFG0 PCM in the cougar and TC works fine. My assumption is that all you need the the proper wiring to make it work and that all of the code is already in the PCM...

seems like all cars have the wiring. But as a good test I have a SFGO PCM in my Se .... anyone got a switch?

I have TC on my SE, and I turn it OFF in the snow... All it does is get me stuck. The 'Tour-plow needs a little slippage to get through some snow drifts :D. I also had to retrofit the switch in my SE, My SVT doesn't even have the components on the instrument cluster's printed circuit to support the light, neither do any of the other two SVT clusters I have laying around my garage.

that is commom amoung those with TC in post 98 cars. it works with the abs and cutting timing or power electronically. with the pre98 system the tc is mechanical, it pushes back against the pedal. so if you don't like it you push harder on the gas pedal and it controls the wheel spin. yes sometimes it still needs to be turned off, but I alway knew when it was going to kick in.

I researched the system from the Ford CD and PM'ed Dom aka BuckeyeSVT @ FCO who seemed to concur but didn't have definite confirmation. I just rolled the dice. I already had the TCS wiring with the grey connector behind the defog switch taunting me. I just swapped my defog switch with the TCS/defog combo one and swapped the ABS HCU for the one w/TCS. I paid ~$30 for the ABS/TCS HCU on ebay and ~$45 for a new switch bcz I didn't feel like hunting in the j/y's. I'll post a pic/PN of the switch, ABS HCU and what PCM code I have in a few. Supposedly to have a complete system I should have to run wires to brake pads with temp sensors (I have the non-temp-sense ones). That's supposed to monitor the brakes overheating as that's part of how the system works, but I'm not constantly breaking traction causing it to get to that point and it's not throwing any kind of ABS/Traction error.

For the snow performamce I like it. Also, it's really handy when you hit any ice and you're trying to accelerate. Kinda acts like the car runs out of gas and when it caught traction the power comes back. Also, I've got two sets of SVT gauge clusters and both have the "Traction Control" kinda blacked out until the light from behind makes it visible which won't happen until you add/swap the right parts. I'm pretty sure it's there on all of the CSVT's.

I researched the system from the Ford CD and PM'ed Dom who seemed to concur but didn't have definite confirmation. I just rolled the dice. I already had the TCS wiring with the grey connector behind the defog switch taunting me. I just swapped my defog switch with the TCS/defog combo one and swapped the ABS unit for the one w/TCS. I paid ~$30 for the ABS/TCS unit on ebay and ~$45 for a new switch bcz I didn't feel like hunting in the j/y's. I'll post a pic/PN of the switch, ABS unit and what PCM code I have in a few. Supposedly to have a complete system I should have to run wires to brake pads with temp sensors (I have the non-temp-sense ones). That's supposed to monitor the brakes overheating as that's part of how the system works, but I'm not constantly breaking traction causing it to get to that point and it's not throwing any kind of ABS/Traction error.
For the snow performamce I like it. Also, it's really handy when you hit any ice and you're trying to accelerate. Kinda acts like the car runs out of gas and then when it catched traction the power comes back. Also, I've got two sets of SVT gauge clusters and both have the "Traction Control" kinda blacked out until the light from behind makes it visible which won't happen until you add/swap the right parts. I'm pretty sure it's there on all of the SVT's.
thats good to know right there. we just might have some more traction controlled svts around here:D. quick question tho... can anyone estimate how well this will work on a Turbo'd tour? am guessing little?...:shrug:

Supposedly to have a complete system I should have to run wires to brake pads with temp sensors (I have the non-temp-sense ones). That's supposed to monitor the brakes overheating as that's part of how the system works, but I'm not constantly breaking traction causing it to get to that point and it's not throwing any kind of ABS/Traction error.

the brake pads do not have temp sensors. what you are thinking of is the wear sensor that came on cougars. I believe the temp part of the system is calculated based on operation time or something like that.

Back