• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car shuts off at red light unless I hit the brake and gas at same time!

mmayo1129

New CEG'er
The car shuts off at a red light unless I hit the brake and gas at same time. I cleaned out the MAF sensor and also another sensor that goes in the intake system. The CEL isn't lit anymore and the car drove waaaayyy better than it did before. However, when I parked it, it didn't shut off but it vibrated a lot. My next job will be to check out the EGR and the IAC. By the way, Does anybody know where the PCV valve is on a 98 contour 2.0 4 cyl?

have you checked for vacuum leaks? on a 98 you shouldn't have any egr valve, iirc. also the pcv valve is located behind the exhaust manifold iirc.

With the car running, pull a vacuum line off of the intake somewhere after the MAF and see if the car idles better (Note I said IDLE, don't drive it with a hose off). If you create a large leak and it "fixes" the vibration problem, you've probably got an IAC that's stuck shut.

~Mike~

Yes for that PCV, at least on the 96 (prolly no different on the 98 zetec) you could pull off the exhaust manifold to get to it, it ids about anightmare. Once there though, go head and replace the PCV cause it is a $2 part, less than a cup of coffee or a donation to the feed the kids Christian fund.

Back