• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zetec vs. Duratec

St.Andrew

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I have looked at so many mods for my Zetec that my eyes are blurry. If the Duratec puts out about 45 hp more...should I just look into getting a V6?

>I'm bracing for impact<

There are some rabid Zetec fans out there that will swear by it no matter what, and probably the same for the Duratec. From what I've read, here's the summary:
Duratec:
-V6 means more cylinders and better torque
-No replacement for displacement
-Better modding base out there (with other duratecs and the SVT parts)
-Sounds absolutely amazing

Zetec:
-Iron block is better for boosting (maybe?)
-Smaller engine leaves more room in the engine bay for turbo/SC
-Cheaper (on average)
-Sounds like every other stupid ricer

Last edited:
There are some rabid Zetec fans out there that will swear by it no matter what, and probably the same for the Duratec. From what I've read, here's the summary:
Duratec:
-I've read claims that the internals are good up to 1100hp or something, not sure though

Zetec:
-Cheaper (on average)

Better modding? :nonono: Sound? How is that revelant?:shrug:

Duratec, all the way. More power through out, great fuel eco for a v6.

A zetec doesn't really have a power band, to me it feels like it has the same power at 2k as it does at 5k, so it moves like a slow freight train. Poor fuel eco for a 4cyl. And an ATX murders the small amount of power it has to start with.

Poor fuel eco for a 4cyl.
You're crazy. I get better gas mileage in mine than my mom did in her 02 civic.

For modding (unless you just gots tons of money and wanna spend it on a contour, in which case it wouldn't matter what engine you mod) definitely the duratec. You start out either 40hp ahead with the regular duratec or about 70hp ahead with the svt. SVTs are so cheap nowadays, there is no reason not to get one.

No I'm not crazy, my Zetecs best gas milage is 27.5 mpg. My SVTs Duratec best 27.8 mpg.

Zetecs average milage for me 25.89 mpg
Svts 24.67 mpg

Not a big difference, and I imagine a standard Duratec would get slightly better gas milage then the SVT version, with a high gear ratioand better low end tourque.

Last edited:
A Zetec just can't beat a Duratec for torque and sound. If you're just thinking about reliability and/or economy, I think the Zetec might get the nod, but if you're looking for overall driving experience, the Duratec and MTX-75 are GREAT, especially in the pre-98s.

PurpleMystique said:
Duratec:
-I've read claims that the internals are good up to 1100hp or something, not sure though

Zetec:
-Cheaper (on average)

i have to agree with Hector.

better modding base? most focus and zx2 parts will fit the contour with little to no fabrication. thats a huge base right there.

sound? i dont see how thats relevent since there are several very nice sounding zetecs. its all based on pipe diameter and muffler. if you go with 2.25" or 2.5" pipe with a borla muffler it will sound good.

we've already had this discussion here

i dont see how thats relevent since there are several very nice sounding zetecs. its all based on pipe diameter and muffler. if you go with 2.25" or 2.5" pipe with a borla muffler it will sound good.

Taste is relative. I, along with many others, just don't like the sounds of most 4 cylinder engines. I have yet to hear a Zetec I could stand (I've had two before my Duratec). The Duratec, on the other hand, just sounds so nice.

No I'm not crazy, my Zetecs best gas milage is 27.5 mpg. My SVTs Duratec best 27.8 mpg.

Svts 24.67 mpg

Not a big difference, and I imagine a standard Duratec would get slightly better gas milage then the SVT version, with a high gear ratioand better low end tourque.

You're forgetting that your Zetec is an ATX and the duratec is an MTX. My non-SVT ATX duratec best ever was 27, average is barely over 20. My dad averages over 30 in his Zetec ATX because he drives like an old man.

Svts 24.67 mpg

you've got big problems then, i average 34-36mpg all year round, and I don't drive slow..

and to add to all the things about zetec not having torque, why do boosted zetecs continue to dyno 20-30ft/lbs more torque then they do HP.. We're not dealing with hondas here, zetecs make torque. Hell, even stock they have more torque then they do HP. 'No replacement for Displacement'- that'd work better if the Duratec was more then .5 liters displacement and 2 more pistons.

and to add to all the things about zetec not having torque, why do boosted zetecs continue to dyno 20-30ft/lbs more torque then they do HP.. We're not dealing with hondas here, zetecs make torque. Hell, even stock they have more torque then they do HP. 'No replacement for Displacement'- that'd work better if the Duratec was more then .5 liters displacement and 2 more pistons.

Turbos make torque. Even a boosted Honda (tuned appropriately) will have good torque.

Compare similarly modded Zetecs and Duratecs...which has more power? Oh yeah, the one with more displacement.

I also forgot to mention weight. Because the Zetec is an iron block, it weighs about the same as the Duratec, so that's negligible. The thing is that cars that came with the Duratec also usually had other extra features so Duratec cars usually end up weighing more.

Turbos make torque. Even a boosted Honda (tuned appropriately) will have good torque.
sure they do, that's why you can have a 400whp honda with only 205ftlbs of torque?

and you comparing simalar modded zetecs vs duratecs is retarded, the motor that started out with more HP will have more hp at the end, Mod a SVT zetec (170hp) vs a non-svt duratec and then get back to us.

Last edited:
sure they do, that's why you can have a 400whp honda with only 205ftlbs of torque?

Thats cause they're pushing 20lbs of boost out of a turbo that was designed for only 10lbs. they dont have enough airflow to make more torque.

PurpleMystique said:
Taste is relative. I, along with many others, just don't like the sounds of most 4 cylinder engines. I have yet to hear a Zetec I could stand (I've had two before my Duratec). The Duratec, on the other hand, just sounds so nice.

so i guess you dont like either of these:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3115910130197425072KerryKools exhaust -SVT exhaust on a zetec

My exhaust -custom exhaust on a zetec

Last edited:

Svts 24.67 mpg

SVT uses the same gearing as the non SVT V6.

and you comparing simalar modded zetecs vs duratecs is retarded, the motor that started out with more HP will have more hp at the end, Mod a SVT zetec (170hp) vs a non-svt duratec and then get back to us.

The problem is that the discussion here is concerning the Zetec vs. Duratec in Contours, not in general. So, good sir, perhaps you are the one that is "retarded."

so i guess you dont like either of these:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3115910130197425072KerryKools exhaust -SVT exhaust on a zetec

My exhaust -custom exhaust on a zetec

On the first one, did he even rev above 4000? Because when it sounded like he was getting close, it started sounding bad. So no, I do not like it. And the second link failed to load for me.

Back