• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stazi Mesh Install

Savior

CEG'er
I used Stazi Gen II Mesh here, but I believe this basic principle would work for any generation, possibly with small procedural modifications.

The lower front/rear mesh are pretty simple and straight-forward; just remove the metal clips from the plastic tabs, pull out the old plastic mesh, and work the new mesh in, sliding the plastic tabs through the holes were appropriate (I had to chop off several tabs, but you only really need one or two on the left and right and one in the middle to hold it in place), then drive small screws through the tabs behind the mesh to keep it from working tis way off.

The oval is a little more complicated though; I had to get creative here...

To start, remove the oval from your car. Bring it into a well-lit area.

1.jpg

Flip it over and use a cheap soldering iron to melt out each of the little plastic rivets holding the front chrome ring to the black rear piece...
2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Use a flat-head screwdrive to carefully pry the two pieces apart...
5.jpg

6.jpg

Now we get messy. I got this pair of yellow-handled Stanley FatMAX snippers at Wal-Mart for about 9 bucks. Use something like this to hack out your cheesy plastic factory grille...
7.jpg

8.jpg

Use a serrated saw-blade and sand paper, or a dremel if you have one, to chop off the little posts from the back of the chrome ring (making sure to leave behind the tabs they were mounted on), and smooth out the inside of the black oval...
9.jpg

10.jpg

Back