• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

my port matched 04 taurus 3l

7milesvt98

CEG'er
i just did a 3l swap and now a have a couple codes. i have p0171-p0402-p0420-p0174-p1405 what should i check first/ what could be my problem?

Last edited:
well i got a 04 taurus 3l with 18'xxx miles on it for 400$ a decent deal. this is how far i got and what i think i need to get all. in one list. it is going in my 98.5 svt

#1 new motor
#2 cut off tabs for alt and crank peice
#3 portmatch heads with bugzuki plates for lim&uim (if i can get some)
#4 not sure if i need the pulse wheel for 2.5 search was fuzzy
#5 2.5 motor mount. grind to fit
#6 timing cover,valve covers
#7 taurus oil pan and pick up?

so far that's all i got down is there anything else i need to get or do? thanks for any info or advice.

#4- Pulse wheel is in there, you just need to pull it off and rotate it to the 2.5 keyway slot. Search harder it will tell you specifically what direction to place it
#6- Covers for contour/coug if you're planning on a Port-matched setup
#8- Breather box for the 2.5 has to go in the engine valley, I believe the 04-05 taurus 3L has a plate blocking where the box should go. The box should fit between the heads but make sure this is done before the mount is installed.
*9- Are you using the 3L cams that came with the motor? If you're using SVT cams, you'll have to resuse your old chain, and crank sprocket

The experts should chime in soon.. Reading other people's swap threads REALLY help. Spend some time searching so that you avoid problems that other people run into. DONT FORGET THAT CRANK BUSHING. in pwntbywombat's build thread (search that?) he bolted the tranny up to the engine without removing that bushing and cracked his tranny bellhousing :blackeye:

#4- Pulse wheel is in there, you just need to pull it off and rotate it to the 2.5 keyway slot. Search harder it will tell you specifically what direction to place it
#6- Covers for contour/coug if you're planning on a Port-matched setup
#8- Breather box for the 2.5 has to go in the engine valley, I believe the 04-05 taurus 3L has a plate blocking where the box should go. The box should fit between the heads but make sure this is done before the mount is installed.
*9- Are you using the 3L cams that came with the motor? If you're using SVT cams, you'll have to resuse your old chain, and crank sprocket

The experts should chime in soon.. Reading other people's swap threads REALLY help. Spend some time searching so that you avoid problems that other people run into. DONT FORGET THAT CRANK BUSHING. in pwntbywombat's build thread (search that?) he bolted the tranny up to the engine without removing that bushing and cracked his tranny bellhousing :blackeye:
crank bushing? is that the extra piece for the flywheel? i will search his thread more and i am using the 3l cams so i need the 3l pulse wheel. turn it to the next slot? i had problems with searching that but i will do more searching.i appreciate all the help

well i have an update.. i cut both tabs for alt and the bushing for the input shaft. i still need to order the bugzuki plates so for now im just waiting. i started sand blasting my valve covers and my timing cover. i sprayed the block the pan and heads. i am still going with purple and silver. i decided to change from plum to anodized. i will put pics up tomorrow of everything.i have not decided if i like the anodized so that might get changed.

well i have had my engine purple for along time i am just changing the shape of purple. no one has to like it. it is what i like that's all that matters to me.

so pretty much put both motor to tdc and put the 2.5 pulse wheel on same slot it come off? i did search. but i couldn't come up with anything that was clear straight to the point. that is the only thing right now holding me back.

My thread should cover most of your questions, I think there are even pics of the pulse wheel in there. Once you get the timing cover off you simply slide the pulse wheel off the crank keyway and then put it back on the other keyway if that makes sense. Don't worry about it, once you see it you will get it, and if your still unclear post a pic and we will tell you if its right or not.

awesome you guys have been a big help. i will have my motor out tonight and the 3l in tomorrow. i was going to paint my trans silver but there is just way to much crap on it so im gonna leave that. but the rest of the motor is painted and done. looks nice but i wont have my bugzuki plates till tomorrow or the next day so. but i do think my harness has been changed cause it looks brand new other then the injector harness. everything has came apart nice on the down side i have found out is my sweet reman engine was put together very very poorly it has 5 oversized rod bearings and one stock and the cyl walls are horrible everything is very bad i will post pics of my sweet 15xxx reman engine

I really hope you looked at pics of the pulsewheel, sounds like your rushing this:rolleyes:

Edit: page 6 in my build thread talks about the pulse wheel and even has a pic.

I really hope you looked at pics of the pulsewheel, sounds like your rushing this:rolleyes:

Edit: page 6 in my build thread talks about the pulse wheel and even has a pic.
yea i looked at your thread it was a big help. i have been reading more then i have been working on it. i printed alot of that stuff out so i dont forget. pulling the motor was no problem i made sure to be carefull with my harness. now i take my time with both motors so i don't screw up.

Back