• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Squeaky Belts

mystiquevltwin

Hard-core CEG'er
So just recently, during the cold whether (15f-25f) my belts or pulleys squeak like crazy!

If I rev the engine a bit, it goes away for a minute or to but then they come back.

I originally thought that this was just me starting the car too early and not letting it warm up, but the problem persists long after I've driven the car.

98 Mystique, 96k. All belts, accessories, tensioners have been on the car since ive bought it @ 32k so we can assume they are <60k

Any ideas?

My idler pulley failed on me. That's probably a good candidate to start off with.

However, you can often times see which one it is if you carefully inspect the surface of the pulley and see if there is any abnormal wear on it, especially the smooth pulleys.

pull the belt off and see if the noise goes away. if it does then its one of the pulleys on the front of the engine. while the belt is off take a feel to see how they spin. you can also use a mechanics stethoscope to listen to the pullies carefully when its running to see which one is making the noise.

The noise got louder and started to sound like an obvious bearing. Im not sure which one, but im going out to try and see.

i have the same problem, and have been having it for a while this winter. Havent been able to bring myself to bring it into the shop to check it out. I'll try to take a video of the sound to see if its the same as yours. I'll also probablly check it out tomorrow since we've kinda slowed down at work.

my moms old Zetec had a problem where the crank pulley wobbled a bit and it would cause the belt to squeak on the water pump pulley. with the engine running, take a flashlight and look down at the crank pulley. it should spin in a single plane, if its wobbling at all it could be your problem.

So I was making a video when I tried something out. I loosened and oiled the tensioner and the noise was gone. I guess I'll be ordering a new one this week.

Thanks for the help!

Back