• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Deep Sound and Vibration

2000myst

Veteran CEG'er
I bought my mystique in Aug 2005 and it has always made a deep sound when driving.

First, I though it was road noise from the tires and maybe I needed an alignment. I got my new rims and tires and I got an alignment, but it didn't go away.

Second, I thought it was the exhaust b/c the flexpipe was broken, but when I replaced it about 6 months ago the noise didn't go away.

The noise and vibration gets louder as you turn the steering wheel to the left and goes away when turned to the right. I am beginning to think it is a motor mount.
I have no trouble turning the wheel or any problems like that. There is also no rev range, it only matters the the car is moving.

Anyone have any ideas or anything I can check for. I am very close to bringing it to the dealker so they can look at it. I have had 4 diff people who know cars look at and they have no idea.

It is a very deep sound, low frequency and vibrates the interior, I do not feel it in the brakes, gas, or steering wheel.

Thanks

you can go awhile but I wouldn't let it go to long ... the bearing should run about $50 ... you need to remove the hub and have the old bearing pressed out and the new one pressed in ...

wheel bearing, the noise going away when that side is loaded iirc

it does sound like a wheel bearing. you got it backwards BrApple. when you load the bearing is when it makes noise. so by going left your loading the right bearing and vice versa. i would just replace both of them. then you shouldnt have to worry about having the other one go out later.

I let mine go long enough that it all you could hear was grinding metal, and could see metal flakes on the inside of the rim. Don't do that. I think it ran me about $120 to have a shop do it.

I'll be bringing it in to have it looked at this week. I will let you guys know.

Its funny, I got quoted $480 to change both of them. That is outrageous. It might be a few other things, but thanks for the help and keep it comin!!

Ill let you know what happens soon.

Back