• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

GROUP BUY: Fiberglass SVT Side Skirt

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamaha racer 686

Hard-core CEG'er
hey guys,

i see a few people have shown interest in buying a pair of skirts. to make it worth my time and effort i need at least 10 people willing to buy skirts. they

1: skirts will mount using stock mounting holes and rivets on the back. and in the wheel wells.
2: the front of the skirt will be held on with two-sided thin tape
3:Hardware is not included. Tape will already be mounted on the skirt.
4: They should be priced between 250-350 per pair shipped. this could change depending on the quotes from shipping services.
5: skirts will come primed and ready for paint.

Postponed Until Fall 2010

more then 10 is fine. this way i know who is in. and i can start getting everything ready to start production. i plan starting production in march and having the skirts completed by april or mid may. a deposit of half will be due at a later date. that way i dont go and make ten or more skirts and have everyone back out. this pricing will probably be only for groups of 10 or more.

here are some preliminary pictures of what they are going to look like.
CarParts006.jpg

CarParts009.jpg

CarParts007.jpg

this up coming week i will be checking on how much shipping is so i can get a definite finally price set. i will also be making both plugs perfect as i can and hopefully have the molds finished by march

please copy the list and add yourself to it. also include how many pairs you would like eif you are ordering more then two.

thanks guys.

looks really good ian...

just don't have the cash flow and mine are it good shape!

don't come smash them up now :nonono:...

looks really good ian...

just don't have the cash flow and mine are it good shape!

don't come smash them up now :nonono:...

i wont come smash yours just not quite yet.

i will want to test fit on your's and dougs cars as well as mine so i know that the designs are good.

These things look great! Im still feeling the stock look tho although I am going to have them glued from the inside and top to keep them from falling out forever! GL w the GB!

- Amyn

These things look great! Im still feeling the stock look tho although I am going to have them glued from the inside and top to keep them from falling out forever! GL w the GB!

- Amyn

hot glue them in at the tabs. when you need to get them out they can be forced out.

I am building the plug for the drivers side skirt this weekend. it should be mocked up and ready for the mold by monday. then two weeks till i can get back home to work on it again.

I'd be in on this except everything fiberglass I've ever used on a car has either cracked or got blasted by a rock or some such. Plus I still have all 4 of my jackpoint covers. That hot glue idea mentioned before is a good idea. I could see this with like a single screw as a backup.

Those side skirts do look really good though, I wish I had that kind of talent. Any possibility of making these in duraflex or even carbon fiber? I'd trust those to actually last on me but I've had bad experiences lol.

I'd be in on this except everything fiberglass I've ever used on a car has either cracked or got blasted by a rock or some such. Plus I still have all 4 of my jackpoint covers. That hot glue idea mentioned before is a good idea. I could see this with like a single screw as a backup.

Those side skirts do look really good though, I wish I had that kind of talent. Any possibility of making these in duraflex or even carbon fiber? I'd trust those to actually last on me but I've had bad experiences lol.

id have to see how the duraflex material holds up on the splitters first. ive done the leg work of making the molds then all they have to do is buy it from me.

the sideskirts are held in place on both ends and both sides. this leaves room for little if any movement, much more movement on the front bumper. i can trace the ends of the skirts and add in a metal sandwich at the ends if i deem them not tough enough. it would be glass/metal/glass on both ends of the skirts, but i believe that two-three layers of mat will suffice holding up to everything but catching it on something that doesn't move.

i say the look with out the jack covers is dead sexy ;)

i could lay up Carbon Fiber or Carbon/ Kevlar mix sometime after the intial group buy. getting a weave to conform to all the convex and concave curves will be difficult or impossible. but a good way to get it to conform is with vaccum bagging. which ive also started to dabble in.

i need to start honing my skills and open a fab shop.:crazy:

Side Note:ive been reading up on how to make Carbon Fiber piping. Can anyone say CF Intake and Turbo Cold Pipes :drool:

Hmm yeah... I guess it would be a pita to do the carbon fiber then. My other gripe is attaching with 3M tape which is something I will NEVER do with any body part. I hope you don't think I'm knocking this product I'm not, you've done a completely amazing job making these and making them look so good. I'm just giving you feedback for your product.

Hmm yeah... I guess it would be a pita to do the carbon fiber then. My other gripe is attaching with 3M tape which is something I will NEVER do with any body part. I hope you don't think I'm knocking this product I'm not, you've done a completely amazing job making these and making them look so good. I'm just giving you feedback for your product.

the whole thing isn't attached with 3M tape. the back still uses the factory mounting along with factory mounts on the ends. only the front would be pulled to the rocker panel with the tape. with 3 sides using factory mounts all the tape is doing is making the front flat with the rocker, something that rarely happens with the tabs. in the pictures in the OP there is no tape holding that up. its just the back factory mounts. I also would not secure a whole body piece with 2 sided tape. Although the lip kits for most cars are held on that way.

to make the tabs and get them placed correctly would be more time then its worth to me. My auto teacher also suggested using clear silicone to mount it to the rocker. heat both the edge of the skirt and the panel. lay out the silicone and adhere.

hey at least your asking questions i'm glad someone is. People might have the same questions. i know your not knocking the product just asking legitimate questions.

Also these would go great with the sub frame connector GB. no need to use the factory jack points when you can now jack from anywhere under the car. ;)

So what mounting points are you carrying over into your design? Because you have the two machine screws at each end in the wheel well, then the two machine screws that go into the sill behind each JP cover, and then finally all of the push pins that go up into the sill on the back side of the skirt.

So what mounting points are you carrying over into your design? Because you have the two machine screws at each end in the wheel well, then the two machine screws that go into the sill behind each JP cover, and then finally all of the push pins that go up into the sill on the back side of the skirt.

i am carrying over the wheel well mounts and the row of mounts on the back side of the skirts.

Agreed, but these need to be made or I'll have to mold in the factory covers... :laugh:

im working on it! i have the plug for the driverside started. the front is all blended smooth now just working on the back. i should have that plug done in 2-3 weeks. ill make that mold. then repeat for the otherside. still shooting to have these done before SZ10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back