• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The ONLY trunk lid strut removal How-To! Video inside.

blu_fuz

New Member Classroom vulture
Don't listen to what anyone else tells you, this is the easiest way to do this. Repeat the process for the other side and do the reverse process to install your new ones.

Excellent. If a pic is worth a 1000 words, a vid is wortha million. My trunk struts don't need changing, but I will change em anyways with that bit of instruction.

Thanks.

Thats amazing, that is easy. so when i reinstall it i jst push the back into the socket till i hear it pop? ur like my Sensi Blu fuz, you have an answer to all my questions! :)

finally got around to doing this. I managed to do it with a regular 4-in-1(or now 6 in 1) screw driver, although a regular flathead like in the video would have been a little easier. video made it a lot easier so thanks a lot fuz. i owe you a beer.

i had to pull my struts out of a junk yard car. it took me an hour just to figure out how to get the first one. i wish i was part of this site then. then i wouldn't have been crawling around in god knows what for an hour.

Very informative video! My trunk is always falling down I think the struts are shot and can no longer hold up the additional weight of the factory spoiler. Does anybody know of any good replacement brands for these? Been looking for a little while but can't really find anything concrete. Thanks!

Glad to help - there were so many people doing this every way but the easy one. It's not so bad ;). We ordered trunk lift struts from rockauto not too long ago. First set seemed weak so we called them and they sent another set at no charge and we got to keep the original set they sent.

Very informative video! My trunk is always falling down I think the struts are shot and can no longer hold up the additional weight of the factory spoiler. Does anybody know of any good replacement brands for these? Been looking for a little while but can't really find anything concrete. Thanks!

The struts you need are Monroe 901342. I searched awhile ago because I have the same issue. I had saved that part number on my "things to buy" list. I still have to get some.

The struts you need are Monroe 901342. I searched awhile ago because I have the same issue. I had saved that part number on my "things to buy" list. I still have to get some.

Thanks smokinjoe I just picked up a set on amazon, it was the last two they had! Hopefully these will save me from almost getting decapitated every time I park on a hill and need to get something out of my trunk!

Thank you for the video! This was perfect timing for me since my car tried to play the guillotine trick a couple days ago.

Yeah did this today, and what a difference with those monroe replacements! My trunk even stays open when parked uphill! If I may suggest another way to get the clips off. After trying unsuccessfully with a long flat head screwdriver, I tried using a mini flat head screw driver (the kind you would use for taking apart electronics). This worked great. And then when attempting to put the new ones on, you just slide the mini screwdriver under the clip. It keeps the clip from flying off yet opens it far enough for the ball stud to fit. Then just slide the mini screwdriver out. This involves climbing into the trunk, which isn't too bad with the seats folded down and I'm over 6 feet tall. Just make sure someone is holding the trunk up for you! Thanks again for the help guys!

I was finally at the point that the trunk wouldnt stay up and have been hit in the head too many times. Mine was one of those issues where you get it up, its balancing and you touch something in the trunk it will fall on your head....or back... or even worse the latch loop hits you in the back of the neck.

I purchased Sach's pieces which have a lifetime warranty for a spoiler car (cheaper for some reason). With the help of the video and comments on here had them changed out at night in 20 minutes. Didnt realize how shot they were until the first use. Nice draw open slowing at the top, and nice firm close.

Not sure if its mentioned but, the ball at the front is mounted opposite to the one on the trunk arm so the clip is facing to the inside rather then out. The driver side front is a little trickier due to the courtesy light switch. Here I used a small screw driver to easily work over the strut tower without the back of the other (longer) screw driver handle hitting the switch bracket.

Thanks fuz and everyone for the comments

icon1.gif
Crazy Canuck

Hey Blue:
thanks so much for your video on taking off trunk lifts...that u made few yrs ago
at 2 am...i was trying to sqeeze my 62 yr old body..with a full snowmobile suit on cus its real cold
into the trunk of my 99 merc mystique LS..
The front clip was easy...the rear..a frickin nightmare
finally pulled off some trim inside the back seat and stuck my screwdriver thru one of the factory
slots....was gettin so desperate...was gonna take out the sawzall and make my own access hole...LOL
Anyway your vid was such a great help....

Very cool guys :cool:. Even with how easy it seemed to be in the video, there are some Contours that I still had a hell of a time getting that rear clip off. Good luck!

Back