• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Replacing front bearings

dlphnfn

Veteran CEG'er
I know you need a press to do these. Here's my dilemma. I can have a local shop do it for $45 + BCA bearings. Probably about $100 total. OR I can take them to my dad about an hour away and put in some Timken/SKF/Motorcraft and it will cost me about $60 + gas.
2 Questions:
1) Are BCA's decent? If I have that right. He said it was a "National Bearing".
2) Are there any special tools needed to press that bearing out? To square it up or anything like that?
Thanks,
Erick --

Not sure I've heard of BCA but I doubt they can be horrible since they're all made with the same machines and materials. If the local shop has done them before and can spare you the hassle without being much more than $100 I would probably go that route.

question:

If I replace the LCA's wheel bearings will be a seperate repair right?

The LCA's come with ball joints, Difference right?

You said lower control arm bearing which confused me. The lower control arm has bushings and a ball joint that can be replaced but you might as well get a new piece that has them all installed to begin with. If its time to replace the wheel bearing in the hub assembly its probably also time to replace the control arms and the tie rod ends as well.

You said lower control arm bearing which confused me. The lower control arm has bushings and a ball joint that can be replaced but you might as well get a new piece that has them all installed to begin with. If its time to replace the wheel bearing in the hub assembly its probably also time to replace the control arms and the tie rod ends as well.

yea i meant i just need new LCA's completely.. havent checked the bearings but like u said might as well do them anyway..

Now for te tie rods im lookin on rock auto and my guess is that i need 4 right?

left inner/outer
right inner/outer

And if so should I get the deezas or the rebestos.. its a 10 dollar difference, not really a big deal but does it matter?

You can do inner tie rods if there is a problem with them otherwise I would just do the outer ones that are quick and easy. As far as the Deeza brand I got a set when they were super cheap and was very surprised with how well made they were. I wouldnt hesitate to use them.

Back