• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Returnless Fuel System - Operation

I don't want to hijack this thread, but while you guys are on the subject and several have posted in the past couple of days. I bought a 99CSVT and the PO had completed a 3.0L upgrade. The fuel system is a return type and the Fuel Pressure Sensor was not installed (it has a regulator, but not one that communicates with the PCM), and the plug that goes into the FPS is just hanging. I am getting a P0193 code indicating a Fuel pressure Sensor, High Input. The car runs fantastic and I hate to add the FPS if it is not necessary. I need to clear the code to pass emissions. Will adding change anything to make it run worse? is there an MIL to trick the PCM into thinking it is getting the right signal?

help me Please.

I don't want to hijack this thread.

Then don't...

, but while you guys are on the subject and several have posted in the past couple of days. I bought a 99CSVT and the PO had completed a 3.0L upgrade. The fuel system is a return type and the Fuel Pressure Sensor was not installed (it has a regulator, but not one that communicates with the PCM), and the plug that goes into the FPS is just hanging. I am getting a P0193 code indicating a Fuel pressure Sensor, High Input. The car runs fantastic and I hate to add the FPS if it is not necessary. I need to clear the code to pass emissions. Will adding change anything to make it run worse? is there an MIL to trick the PCM into thinking it is getting the right signal?

help me Please.

But since you did, just buy the FPR and be done with it. It's on the car from the factory for a reason.

Well Ford has done a lot of things with these cars for a reason ($$$) that don't work that well or that long. The 3L builds are all a bit of a Frankenstien creation with blocks from this, heads from that, fuel rails from who knows where, etc. If the guy that built this and who did a good job left it off maybe he did it for a reason (he forgot or $$$). Just wondering if anyone had any experience with leaving it off and if they did and there was a reason it might be helpful for you to know, so therefore i might not be highjacking ha-ha.

thanks for the input.

The difficulty here is that I need to use the returnless fuel rail regardless of whether it functions with the current system as a return style or if I convert the existing system to returnless. So if the benefits of a return style are in fact just cooler running fuel temps then I won't be completely capitalizing on that because the fuel rail I have to use is not built to operate that way and the fuel will not be flowing through it the same way it would with a return style fuel rail. I guess we'll see what someone with more experience chimes in with. Otherwise I'll bounce this question off some of the engineers on the engine team at work next week when I get back on the 5th.

fuel temp is a big issue on boosted cars. especially ones that hide the fuel rail in certain engine heat. and especially in boosted cars that are already running high temps. there's a reason livinsvt trys to hide his typical -an fitting fuel return. "secrets" i guess. lol. i would run a return if possible but its gonna be a custom setup if you go that route

fuel temp is a big issue on boosted cars. especially ones that hide the fuel rail in certain engine heat. and especially in boosted cars that are already running high temps. there's a reason livinsvt trys to hide his typical -an fitting fuel return. "secrets" i guess. lol. i would run a return if possible but its gonna be a custom setup if you go that route

Guess I'll just need to run a fuel cooler :laugh:

I'm going to run the Aeromotive FPR, pn 13109. Most likely will stick with the 05 Escape fuel rail as well to bypass the mechanical FPR on the ST220 rail.

13109.jpg

Why not modify the returnless fuel rail and make it into a return? They are pretty easy to modify. Add a return line off the back like the stock rails have. Seems backwards that you'd want to modify the car to fit the rail.

Unless you had previous issue with the line in your car don't replace the current lines just because you want to burn some time. If you are planning on running crazy boost start low and inch it up so you can detect lean conditions and troubleshoot the problem.

Back