• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

In Richmond, VA Need Wiring Harness

harrup

CEG'er
Anybody know where I can get one for a 95 LX 6cyl, AT with power windows & doors. The dealer wants $1400 & I hate to junk the car.

whats actually wrong with the car? is it drivable? richmond aint far if the problems fixable.. we can arange something like me coming up there to help out or something???the offers out there

Hawkrunner03,

Here is what happened.

My car was detailed last week. This man detailed it & cleaned the engin is an experienced detail man as that is all he does during the week for a major car dealer. When I picked it up my started fine & I drove it about 15 mi then it stalled out when I had to brake & slow down for a traffic light.

My regular mechanic he cannot get it to diagnose on his scope because it dies when he tries to scope it. Kind of funny because I found I could drive it for a while before it would stall again as I slowed down then if I let it rest for about 15 min it would start again.

The mechanic says the wiring harness is bad. He showed me wires going into the Throttle Position Sensor & the Idle Control Arm that are completely bare & touching each other. The harness alone is 1400. He said this type of thing happens so little that he couldn't give me a labor estimate, i. e. there is no book on it.

I know the harnesses were bad on this year but I bougtht the care with 77,000 mi on it & have driven 60,000 mi since then & never had an electrical problem.

What advice can you give? Should I try having them wrap the wires that we can see are exposed & see how the car does, buy a harness from a junk yard--do other year harneeses fit a 95, junk the car?

Liquid Electrical Tape from Home Depot, $8. Just paint it on the bare wires.

the liquid elictrical tape might work but if it doesnt let me know i have sunday and monday off from work and i only have yard work to do so if that dont work i can shoot up there and go over everything with you with my scan tool the car dont even need to be started for most electrical problems and if need be we can solider and splice in new wire where thy are bad and fix the connection all the way like new but definately try the liquid tape... let me know

Wiring Harness

Wiring Harness

Thanks for your post on my situation. I had a hunch that if my mechanic just rewrapped the wires that were touching that my car would be drive. The insulation was blown off the wires around the throttle position sensor & the idle air control motor when my engine was steam cleaned. This caused the car to short out after it was driven a while--wires touched. The mechanic wrapped the wires & I have driven the car around 1,000 miles. The only thing I notice different is that the car is idleing lower but it does not stall out. My mechanic says that the wires deeper in the engine are also bad & that it is only a matter of time before the insulation comes off some of them, the wires touch, & the car stalls out & leaves me stranded somewhere. But his solution was to replace all the harnesses because he says if one harness does this the others are bad also. I am hoping that it's just that the insulation on those wires on top being 13 years old had just gotten brittle & the steam hose was just to much for them.

Bill Jenkins had the harnesses for around $1500 & the Technical Bulletin said the job took 7.7 hours so will cost a little over $2,000 to do it the way the mechanic wants it done.

The harness that goes across the top is generally the worst one and does not always indicate failure of the other harnesses.

And it certainly doesn't take 7.7 hours to R&R the harness. Although the book is the time you'll almost always be charged for.

Back