• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

St220 intake Manifold installation

Nezerconezer

Hard-core CEG'er
I've just purchased a st220 intake manifold from ebay UK and I was wondering how others have installed them. If anyone has a pic or two that would be great.

What gaskets are you using?
How did you hook up the throttle body and linkages?
How did you route the vac lines?

Only pic I could find so far is from Snob.

06072009289.jpg

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Your going to have to relocate your coil pack to the front, no questions there. You'll have to use the 2.5L valve covers or non COP valve covers from a 3.0L to have clearance in the rear as well. As far as the vacuum lines... not quite sure on that one yet. Haven't looked that far ahead for mine.

Hmm I thought I read that someone had the st220 manifold with 04-05 valve covers. As for the coil pack its already in a different spot.

Really? Cause its been done.

Yea?... I call BS on your statement (without pictures anyway). People may have used a COP valve cover for the front bank, but they certainly didn't use a COP valve cover in the rear.

First thing the intake hits is a COP unit. If these are removed, the second thing it hits is the inside bulge (closest to the intake) on the valve cover. The ONLY way I see it possible is to use a spacer on the bottom of the UIM (which would put the UIM to high to cleat the stock hood) or possibly grind down the bulge in the valve cover to make clearance for the UIM (not sure if there is enough meat on the valve cover to do this).

Yea?... I call BS on your statement (without pictures anyway). People may have used a COP valve cover for the front bank, but they certainly didn't use a COP valve cover in the rear.

First thing the intake hits is a COP unit. If these are removed, the second thing it hits is the inside bulge (closest to the intake) on the valve cover. The ONLY way I see it possible is to use a spacer on the bottom of the UIM (which would put the UIM to high to cleat the stock hood) or possibly grind down the bulge in the valve cover to make clearance for the UIM (not sure if there is enough meat on the valve cover to do this).

Best person to talk to is Nima (96blackse) he has made it work. Up to him if he wants to share his secrets.

I bought my engine from him and it had the St220 UIM at one point with 04-05 covers. I did not take the UIM, but my valve covers are shaved down. This is how I know it will work....

but my valve covers are shaved down.

Figured that was what he did. Wouldn't be able to run COP's though. I'm thinking about doing this... as the PCV system is that much better not to mention the 10x better baffling system that is used inside them. However if I do use them I don't think I can install my oh so sweet ST220 engine cover.

Doesn't appear to have the updated baffling and PCV system though, which to me is a huge plus on the 2005 valve covers I have now. If they can be ground down to work I'd be much more inclined to use those over anything else.

the plastic 3L valve covers are the same mold shape as the aluminum ones, but have bosses for the COP units. they will work with the ST manifold and allow use of COP. however, you cannot use the PCV system off the newer valve covers, you gota go back to the "box" between the heads.

Doesn't appear to have the updated baffling and PCV system though, which to me is a huge plus on the 2005 valve covers I have now. If they can be ground down to work I'd be much more inclined to use those over anything else.

PM livinSVT. he had a spacer made so he could use the 2005 valve covers and the ST manifold. see what he did, he might just share the info with ya :p

Hmmm.. and the intake still cleared the hood eh?

FYI I am running 04/05 Valve covers WITH my ST220 UIM and I also have LivinSVT's spacer and my hood closes just fine :cool:.

the plastic 3L valve covers are the same mold shape as the aluminum ones, but have bosses for the COP units. they will work with the ST manifold and allow use of COP. however, you cannot use the PCV system off the newer valve covers, you gota go back to the "box" between the heads.

I am pretty sure I am using the updated PCV system as that was one of the reasons I went with the 04/05 motor. I will try to get some pictures of everything (car is currently sitting at Starjammirs house for the winter).

Aaron

FYI I am running 04/05 Valve covers WITH my ST220 UIM and I also have LivinSVT's spacer and my hood closes just fine :cool:.

I am pretty sure I am using the updated PCV system as that was one of the reasons I went with the 04/05 motor. I will try to get some pictures of everything (car is currently sitting at Starjammirs house for the winter).

Aaron

Yes pictures would be awesome

Back