• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

HELP...Which TruBenz Exhaust????

ssstang67

New CEG'er
:help:My son wants to buy a non-resinator TruBenz catback system. Looking for suggetions please. He definitly wants the Flowmaster mufflers but we're not sure if we should get the 2.5, 3.0 alum. or just get the 3.0 SS system:shrug:? In the alum is 2.5 good enough or is 3.0 that much better? Is the alum kit not worth buying and just go with SS? Please help as I'm new to these SVTs I'm in to Mustangs so I'm trying to learn as I go with these Thanx Scott.... also you can email me at ssstang67@aol.com

Sorry for double post:crazy:

what double post :laugh:

anyway on a stock 2.5L engine a 3" exhaust is overkill. go with the 2.5" exhaust.

also the SS is going to last longer then the aluminumized system, so in that respect you get what you pay for. but if the car isn't going to be driven year round or in bad weather you could get away with it.

i have aluminum type but it was painted over with a black hightemp. so i hope mine lasts. if your son is going to keep the car for 5+ years and will want to compete in shows then SS would be worth the money. the aluminum coated steel will do just as a good a job as the SS but wont look as nice as time goes on. plus how many people look under the car?

like brapple said. 2.5" will flow much better then stock. while if u were going with a supercharger/turbocharger then 2.5" will be alittle small and 3.0" will be ideal

go with the 2.5 although if you have a stock duratec and not the SVT version, 2.5 is even a little large. If you go to a larger diameter pipe than needed you create turbulance in your exhaust which will actually cause you to lose more power than you gain. this is because the gasses wont fill the void completely and then you will have spaces in which gas is moving more slowly than others and from there you create turbulance. The turbulance will act like a bigger restriction in your exhaust than a stock system.

i have a 3L with headers, stock y pipe, high flowcat, and a resonated flowmaster 40 series exhaust....

and my car sounds like crap! just around 3k it rasps bad, im going to change the cat back to stock soon and see if that helps, i wouldnt recommend flowmasters to this car.

IMHO....

Trubendz non resonated 2.5 exhaust. Perfect setup. Do not buy flow masters, try to explain to him that they are just as restrictive as the stock svt mufflers.

They do not produce what is claimed and this has been displayed at many levels. Overall a better performance muffler will net him more power and increase the sound that the duratec makes!!!

Now if he does have his heart set on flow masters then i guess that is what he will get. Flow masters belong on mustangs not contours :)

Phew...I was hoping someone was going to step in and shun him away from flowmasters before it was too late. You might as well just throw your whole catback down the crapper if you get flowmaster mufflers. You'll defeat the whole purpose. Seriously, flowmasters are hardly an upgrade over the stock SVT mufflers. You can't go wrong with magnaflow or borla.

IMHO, I would get a 2.5" resonated exhaust system with mufflers. A quality straight through magnaflow resonator will probably flow just as well as a straight pipe and will help it sound a lot better. Make sure you get some straight through magnaflow mufflers as well. Spend a little bit extra money for the quality components, and trust me, you'll be happy you did.

And FYI...its TruBendz ;)

Last edited:
if he has a non svt duratec,the svt catback w/the resonator removed is good enough. and sound pretty good if all three cats are in place:shrug:

if he has a non svt duratec,the svt catback w/the resonator removed is good enough. and sound pretty good if all three cats are in place:shrug:

I agree.

although if you do want to go with the truebends, stay away from flowmasters, they only sound good on OHV engines.

I still think removing the resinator is a bad move on a non-svt 2.5L. This was the first mod I did on my SE and it was too raspy for my likings. And why would you leave the SVT mufflers on a non-svt 2.5L? Sure its an upgrade over stock, but just because it has 30 less hp than the SVT doesn't mean its a good fit. Like it was stated the SVT mufflers are on par with flowmasters which are sub par. What you could do is pick up an SVT exhaust and just replace the mufflers and resinator with magnaflow components. At least you'll know for sure it will bolt up right. TruBendz has been known to have some fitment issues from time to time.

BTW, flowmasters may sound good on OHV engines, but they are still restrictive. ;)

An svt exhaust is a perfect upgrade for non svts. I just recomend replacing the resonator with a striaght through muffler.

Since the svt exhaust splits into two, the rear mufflers are only taking on half the exhaust. There is no way the rear mufflers can become a restriction on a 2.5L. or stock 2.5l svt

I loved my Magnaflow resonated SVT exhaust on my Mystique. Had I not gotten a deal on my Borla, I would've just put a glasspack in place of my stock resonator.

As far as sound quality, performance and bang for buck I think an SVT exhaust with a straight through resonator is by far the best setup.

I beg to differ. Stock svt exhaust with a removed resonator produces plenty of rasp. I hated it.

I have a stock SVT with removed resonator and it sounds great! No rasp and a quiet growl. :drool: I love the sound so much that I'm afraid to replace it with a custom magnaflow setup with headers like I want for a performance gain. I also have a zetec with a header and a full magnaflow exhaust... talk about rasp :nonono:

I have a stock SVT with removed resonator and it sounds great! No rasp and a quiet growl. :drool: I love the sound so much that I'm afraid to replace it with a custom magnaflow setup with headers like I want for a performance gain. I also have a zetec with a header and a full magnaflow exhaust... talk about rasp :nonono:

go with a 2.5" kit. i just installed my trubendz 3" SS catback exhaust with magnaflow highflow cat, and dual 4" tipp'd magnaflow mufflers. wow! awesome. it pulls harder up top now. best of all... NO rasp at all. the drone is minimal. the only thing i noticed was more vibration on the steering wheel at cruising speeds. kinda like a grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr feel. Other than that, one of the best aftermarket stuff i've spent my money on, handsdown.

Back