• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

system rattles car

dannimarieiro

CEG'er
i just finished puttin another amp in my car so now im running 2 amps(700 rms each) 2 12 jbl's 750 rms each and 1 apline cap , so then car rattles alot and i want to stop that . so of my friends and other people said to go to like home depot and get some stuff that works the same as dynamat just wondering if anyone on here have any ideas of a better product??

i was told to use this::shrug::confused:

but i found this stuff on ebay looks good..http://cgi.ebay.ca/100-FatMat-Xtrem...tcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Its more expensive than other options, thats for sure, but you also won't need to double up any layers, its a high quaity product. That may save on material, and reduce the amount needed.

I don't know where your friends found out that does any good. That stuff is made to insulate it for heat. it does nothing for sound deadening.

You will need 200sq foot and double layer everything to get the car to stop rattling. I had a audioque 15" off 1700wrms for awhile and it was worthless. There wasn't 1 part in that car that didnt make noise, and the whole car was deadend (doors, floor, roof, trunk, all double layered and some had 3+) and it was still a rattle trap.

what i would do, and have done in the past, is use dynamat for the worst noise areas, then you can use the cheap stuff in non-essential area's.

really though, nothing compares to dynamat IMO.

This is what I got from Home Depot. Works pretty good, especially for the price.
100_1464.jpg

I have some eDead that works great also. Cheaper than Dynamat.

Stinger makes stuff called Roadkill essentially dynamat. What I lined my trunk with. I think it was like 20 cubic feet for 150 bucks it completely lined my trunk all the way to the rear seats including inside the quarter panels. Also can look for stuff called Deadskin it comes in a roll on can or spray in if its still available.:shrug:

Am I still the only person who uses spray on underbody coating? You have to build it up and use a few cans but in the end its pretty damn cheap. Much easier to apply (when prepped) and more thurough than stick on stuff. Its not as good af foam but seems to do the job quite nicely.

Elemental Designs makes a product called edead, equivalent to dynamat and the likes but they also have paint/spray on applications as well.

just my $.02

then you either have a small sealed setup or not moving much air. I had 1 treo 10" off 700rms that rattled the whole car. my HDC3 off 1700rms was just stupid.

Stinger makes stuff called Roadkill essentially dynamat. What I lined my trunk with. I think it was like 20 cubic feet for 150 bucks it completely lined my trunk all the way to the rear seats including inside the quarter panels. Also can look for stuff called Deadskin it comes in a roll on can or spray in if its still available.:shrug:

I didn't know the trunk could hold 20 cubic feet.:shrug:

If you bought it by the square foot, you could have bought 150 square feet of eDead for $150.

As stated before, RAAMmat and Second Skin are the two best choices.

RAAMmat uses a Butyl with asphalt composite base, and is the thiner of the two which works well for places like the doors, where you don't want to much bulk that can cause the panels to not sit flush, etc. It is also the cheapest of the "high-grade" mats.

Second Skin Damplifier Pro uses a ultra premium high butyl content base, and is the best deadener of all commercially available mats. And yes it does beat Dynamat Extreme in tests. It is also cheaper than Dyanamat Extreme, but not by a huge amount.

As far as eDead goes, it is made of SBR (styrene-butadiene-rubber) or known as Asphalt (with rubber added). the problem with SBR is will have long term degradation due to the high heats that happen inside a car. This will cause the mat to peel away from inverted and vertical surfaces.

http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/vibration-mat/damplifier-pro.php

Back