+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Don't panic, it might just be the Range Sensor

Post Don't panic, it might just be the Range Sensor

I'm just posting some info for the Transaxle forum:

Its hard to believe what the transmission will do in ford cars when only the range sensor (MLPS sensor) goes bad. It will do some pretty strange things
    Example: Spring of 09, i was drivin with no probs whatsoever. Cruising at 45mph just chillin and all of the sudden my trans starts to shift thru its gears randomly. I panicked, i pulled into a neighborhood and it kept randomly banging hard in and out of gear.

Heres what i was thinking: "Oh F***, its done, toast, gone, fried, what am i gonna do?" Well, no flashing O/D light or check engine light, but i did get a code for the Range sensor (668 if i remember right, could be wrong bout that)

I changed the range sensor; it fixed everything INSTANTLY. No problems afterwards.

So if your trans is acting up like that heres some advice for ya
    1. FLUID: its not hard, just a pain. (not a pain for those who care for their car tho) check for bright red color, no burnt smell, and correct level
    2. Codes: Don't just go about guessing what could be wrong, the PCM can tell you alot from the codes you get
    3. You'd be suprised what will happen if the range sensor (which only tells the PCM what selection the shifter is in) goes bad.
    Just throwin out some info for you guys. Hope it helps anyone in need
    4cyl auto 95 Contour GL (with that weird teal color)

Scotty Does Know!!!

Uh, what other name might this part be known by? Various parts sites I've tried have no clue what a "range sensor" might be. If it's the TSS (turbine speed sensor), we just replaced it on our 97 Contour and are still having shift oddities (especially at ca. 15mph).

Blog Entries

Transmission Range Sensor = Manual Lever Position Sensor
    Ian
    2012 Hyundai Accent hatchback
    1996 Zetec ATX - Retired but still running (barely)
    Aircougar Performance

like what zorrex said
    transmission range sensor=manual lever position sensor

Its right on top of the trans and on top of the valve body cover. Its kinda triangle shaped with a small circular post that goes thru the top, you can't miss it
    If they don't know what a transmission range sensor (or Manual lever position switch) is, then they must either not understand, or just be...well...kinda dumb

This pic from autozone's online repair guide (aka copyrighted)

Scotty Does Know!!!

Most auto part stores classify the part as a "neutral safety switch".

Stock Wise Auto Borg Warner S26100 Neutral Safety Switch $20.18 + $5 shipping

CSK Auto / O'Reilly BWD Automotive Neutral Safety Switch / Back-Up Light Switch $34.99

Auto Zone Duralast / Neutral Safety Switch $51.99

Default Neutral Safety Switch

Most auto part stores classify the part as a "neutral safety switch".

Stock Wise Auto Borg Warner S26100 Neutral Safety Switch $20.18 + $5 shipping

CSK Auto / O'Reilly BWD Automotive Neutral Safety Switch / Back-Up Light Switch $34.99

Auto Zone Duralast / Neutral Safety Switch $51.99

At least the location makes it look easy to access.

I tried both AutoZone and newfordparts.com, searching on "range sensor", and got nada.

from tcca's topic finder:

TRS (Transmission Range Sensor)
    Symptoms (Each bullet point is a symptom that doesn't necessarily happen at the same time):
    • Loss of power steering assist, all window controls (none are lit up), rear window defrost controls, half of the MFS controls (only Hi, Lo, and turn signals work), and radio only when car is in R, (D), D, and 1. Everything functions fine when put into P or N.
    • Transmission randomly downshifts/upshifts suddenly while driving.
    i had a friends car do this and he left it go long enough that it wouldnt even shift out of first.

but at least the taurus trs gives you warnings before it really stops working. it was wierd cause radio on except when the car was in a moving gear. that was the first symptom to show up
    Chris V.
    02 Cougar "Hello Cougar" 3L Hybrid, MSDS, Trubendz, Magnaflow, Quaife, Bat Kit, Hello Kitty Exhaust Tip + More
    04 Volvo S60R manual
    00 Sable LS Premium -Roush Springs, Magnaflow - 97 'Tour SE MTX

Default Youre correct

Quote Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
    At least the location makes it look easy to access.

I tried both AutoZone and newfordparts.com, searching on "range sensor", and got nada.
    You have to get it thru ford. it'll cost ya bout 50 bucks, maybe alittle more or less im not sure.

If im not mistaken, all 3 transmission sensors you have to get thru ford. TSS, VSS and Range sensors

Scotty Does Know!!!

Quote Originally Posted by UmmScott View Post
    You have to get it thru ford.
    This is not true.

Many parts stores stock the item as a "neutral safety switch" or "back-up switch".

StockWiseAuto $20.18 = $5 shipping

CSK / O'Reilly $34.99

Auto Zone $51.99

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast