• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Check Engine Light -- P0430

Fordwerke

CEG'er
Hi, I'd the check engine light come on ca. two ago. I went to an Autozone for a read-out, where I was told that the trouble lies somewhere in the catalytic converter; the code given was P0430.

The code means that one of the four issues could exist.
1. The catalytic converter is defective,
2. engine misfires,
3. large vacuum leak,
or 4. engine oil leaks into somewhere.

Now these things appear to be kinda unrelated to me (though my knowledge of cars tends towards zero). So how can i figure out, which of these issues is the case in my case, and is it serious enough to require immediate attention?

From the four issues up there, I think I on my own can exclude only No.2, since I ASSUME even i could detect a misfiring engine -- but my car runs quite smooth.

thnx folks!

(I've a '99 V6 Mystique)

The code (and its Bank 1 partner) are FAQs.

Punch them both into the SEARCH engine for many, many discussions.

It is not serious (or particularly important) unless you have to take and pass an emissions test.

Steve

i got that code before. and was planning on installing the MIL eliminators cause i needed an inspection. but thankfully right before i was about to buy them the light went off one day...

Bank 1 is Cylinders (or associated Exhaust Manifold) 1, 2, and 3. This is the set closest to the firewall.

Bank 2 is Cylinders (or associated Exhaust Manifold) 4, 5, and 6. This the set closest to the radiator.

Bank 1 is Cylinders (or associated Exhaust Manifold) 1, 2, and 3. This is the set closest to the firewall.

Bank 2 is Cylinders (or associated Exhaust Manifold) 4, 5, and 6. This the set closest to the radiator.

since I don't have bad gas mileage (still 30mpg), don't "feel" anything misfiring, I'll this; put a can of Berryman's B12 or Seafoam into the gas tank and go drive the car (having first cleared the CEL). Put another can into each of the next two full tanks of gas so that you end up running *three* "treated" tanks of gas thru' your engine.

I think that is what you meant with Try a bottle of fuel injector in the fuel first

since I don't have bad gas mileage (still 30mpg), don't "feel" anything misfiring, I'll this; put a can of Berryman's B12 or Seafoam into the gas tank and go drive the car (having first cleared the CEL). Put another can into each of the next two full tanks of gas so that you end up running *three* "treated" tanks of gas thru' your engine.

I think that is what you meant with Try a bottle of fuel injector in the fuel first
Not sure who you are quoting, but yes, sometimes the "fuel injector trick" have been known to help clean out the precatalytic convertors and turn off the CEL.

Back