• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

svt duratec questions

zx3zetec

New CEG'er
I heard today by a friend that the duratec from the svt contour are yamaha engines?

I tried researching but I didn't see any of this, where did these engines originate?

and also how exactly does the svt variable valve timing work?

thanks!

Porsche and cosworth make the engines?

correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the svt contour have the same intake system as the svt focus?

intake runners that open up at high rpms for better performance?

The 2.5 Duratec block was designed by Porsche, then massaged by Ford. The heads and intakes were designed by Cosworth.

The Taurus SHO V6 was designed by Yamaha, but it's not even similar at all to our Duratec.

All 2.5 Duratec V6 models have a dual-stage intake manifold. It's not "the same" as the SVT Focus, but the technology is the same. 1995 models used a vacuum-operated IMRC, then everything after that used a mechanical IMRC, probably the same part number as the one used in the Focus.

The 2.5 Duratec block was designed by Porsche, then massaged by Ford. The heads and intakes were designed by Cosworth.

The Taurus SHO V6 was designed by Yamaha, but it's not even similar at all to our Duratec.

All 2.5 Duratec V6 models have a dual-stage intake manifold. It's not "the same" as the SVT Focus, but the technology is the same. 1995 models used a vacuum-operated IMRC, then everything after that used a mechanical IMRC, probably the same part number as the one used in the Focus.

We had someone that was involved with the development of the Duratec a while back that said that Porsche Engineering (a separate group from Porsche Automobiles) aided Ford in developing the engine. If you pay attention, you will notice that is is a derivative of the Ford modular family sharing design concepts with the DOHC Cobra and Mark VIII V8 engines.

Cosworth helped resolve block casting issues related to the interface with the cast iron cylinder liners.

Make no mistake, it is a Ford designed engine using other entities for design support.

porsche.jpg
porsche2.jpg
this will blow you mind
porschworkhorse.jpg

Is that an early duratec in a scorpio or something?

no. Scorpios engine was not transversely mounted.

I would say that is a Porsche with a duratec in it. Probably one of their testing mules.

We had someone that was involved with the development of the Duratec a while back that said that Porsche Engineering (a separate group from Porsche Automobiles) aided Ford in developing the engine. If you pay attention, you will notice that is is a derivative of the Ford modular family sharing design concepts with the DOHC Cobra and Mark VIII V8 engines.

Cosworth helped resolve block casting issues related to the interface with the cast iron cylinder liners.

Make no mistake, it is a Ford designed engine using other entities for design support.

I was under the impression that the duratec is based off of engine designs porsche had developed then later sold to Ford and cosworth

Engine Builders Magazine said:
While Ford has reaped the Duratec's benefit, it was not an original design. The primary input for the design of this engine was Porsche, which was already developing the configuration for other purposes. Porsche sold the engineering to Ford and Cosworth, the dominant force behind the cylinder head design. There is actually a 6.0L V-12 Duratec configuration used in the Aston Martin, which is custom built for each vehicle by Cosworth in England.

I would say that is a Porsche with a duratec in it. Probably one of their testing mules.

I was under the impression that the duratec is based off of engine designs porsche had developed then later sold to Ford and cosworth

A front engine Porsche that looks remarkably similar to a Contour/Mondeo engine bay?

And no, Porsche was not involved with the design of the Duratec, Porsche Engineering was. As Big Jim said, a guy who worked for Porsche Engineering was on the forums a while ago, and posted about how his company did some of the development work on the Duratec.
Rara, knowing how Ford engineering works, also confirmed that this guy's explination was most likley correct.

Back