• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

radiator removal

cashflow50

Reverse Light wont work
96' ford contour sport v6

I was wondering how simple/hard is to remove and replace the radiator? I don't want to spend too much money letting someone else remove and replace it for me. Does anyone have a removal and install procedure that an amateur can do? thanks in advance.

this is taken directly from autozone.com repair guides.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Drain and recycle the engine coolant.
  3. Remove the upper radiator hose from the radiator.
  4. On 2.5L equipped vehicles, remove the radiator overflow hose from the radiator.
  5. On vehicles equipped with an automatic transaxle only, remove the transmission cooler line from the cooler inlet fitting and plug the line and the fitting.
  6. Remove the engine fan.
  7. Raise and support the vehicle.
  8. Remove the lower radiator hose from the radiator.
  9. On vehicles equipped with an automatic transaxle only, remove the transmission cooler line from the cooler outlet fitting and plug the line and the fitting.

Remove the cooler lines while holding the radiator connector with a back-up wrench.
  1. Support the radiator, and A/C condenser with a jackstand or other suitable device.
  2. Remove the lower radiator supports from the front of the subframe.
  3. Remove the two retaining bolts for the A/C condenser from the brackets at the bottom of the radiator.
  4. Position the jackstand aside and remove the radiator out the bottom of the vehicle.

To install:

1. Carefully raise the radiator into place and support the radiator with a jackstand or other suitable device. Install the two retaining bolts for the A/C condenser into the brackets at the bottom of the radiator.
  2. Install the lower radiator supports and tighten the bolts to 71-97 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm).
  3. Remove the jackstand and install the transmission cooler outlet line (if equipped) and the lower radiator hose to the radiator.
  4. Lower the vehicle.
  5. Install and tighten the fan shroud nuts.
  6. Install the transmission cooler inlet line (if equipped) and the upper radiator hose to the radiator.
  7. On 2.5L equipped vehicles, install the radiator overflow hose from the radiator.
  8. Connect the negative battery cable.
  9. Fill the cooling system with the proper 50 / 50 mixture and start the vehicle.
  10. Bleed the cooling system and check for leaks.
hope this helps

PS IF YOU HAVE AN OIL COOLER ON THE NOSE OF THE CAR... idk if you do .. .mine does... DONT!!! Let the A/C condensor touch it... (put tape over the coreners or something... but i popped mine when i did my radiator..

Back