• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

cleaning uim

joshs-svt

CEG'er
I tried the link but it says "page not found". Can anyone tell me how to clean the uim WITHOUT removing it or get me a working link?

I don't know how you could do that with the UIM on other than tossing a can of seafoam at it but I've removed the UIM when I did the valve cover gaskets and found it fairly easy and this was my first Duratec. It's just a matter of the 6 bolts holding the UIM down, the 4 bolts on the throttle body, the accelerator cable hold down to throttle body bolts, 2 egr bolts then pull the vacuum/brake booster lines and finally carefully maneuvering it out of the way. From there, I got a can of carb cleaner and a flexible wire brush with an extended handle and scrubbed away. Might also want to replace the gaskets if they are old. Quick google search brought this up.. http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42283

If you use seafoam, you have to change the plugs and oil,because all the stuff cleaned off, will work it's way down into your cylinders and oil pan.

re:cleaning uim

when loosening the bolts on the uim,there is a sequence you have to follow,try to put the bolts back in the holes they came out of.when re-installing them , there is also a proper sequence.I had someone remove mine and clean it ,and the uim didn't seat right and it threw a code. there's a vacuum leak ,and I have to re-do it. Consult a manual for the correct sequence ,unless there 's a thread on it on here.

Back