• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Gauge Cluster

Anyone? Im getting tired of these gauges, I cant see anything really well and the fuel gauge is backwards cause they are SVT gauges.
-tropictour

98 svt gauges in 95 contour lx

98 svt gauges in 95 contour lx

i have a 95 contour lx and i installed 98 svt gauges and everything works right the fuel gauge goes in the right direction temp gauge to also all the warning lights work--it took me 3 hrs of total time wire by wire and trial by error i can be done only if you have an electric speedo not cable driven

95 Contours had a mechanical speedometer. 96+ had electronic. The easy way to tell is to look for the trip odo reset. On the 95s it is on the left, 96+ it is on the right. The one in the auction appears to be from a 96 model, even though it states it was manufactured in 2/95. It should be plug and play. I don't know if it would display the speed accurately though. SVTs have a higher top speed on the speedo than the Contour and Mystique did. I wasn't aware of any cluster changes from the 98 to 98.5 SVT, so I'm not sure why CSVT1214 says you'd need a 98.5 and up.... wait a sec... I just saw you have an SVT AND an SE. I'm assuming now that the cluster is for the SE. Definitely should be plug and play. Again, I'm not aware of any cluster changes for the lower models from 98 to 98.5 either. Definitely search the old forums some, as there was a LOT of info in them about cluster swaps.

95 Contours had a mechanical speedometer. 96+ had electronic. The easy way to tell is to look for the trip odo reset. On the 95s it is on the left, 96+ it is on the right. The one in the auction appears to be from a 96 model, even though it states it was manufactured in 2/95. It should be plug and play. I don't know if it would display the speed accurately though. SVTs have a higher top speed on the speedo than the Contour and Mystique did. I wasn't aware of any cluster changes from the 98 to 98.5 SVT, so I'm not sure why CSVT1214 says you'd need a 98.5 and up.... wait a sec... I just saw you have an SVT AND an SE. I'm assuming now that the cluster is for the SE. Definitely should be plug and play. Again, I'm not aware of any cluster changes for the lower models from 98 to 98.5 either. Definitely search the old forums some, as there was a LOT of info in them about cluster swaps.

Only early 95 Contour/Mystique's had mechanical speedometers. Mid-95 switched to electronic via VSS.

E0 clusters are different than E1 clusters. Since both his cars are higher than 98, I said he needs one from a 98.5-00. My cluster installed on an E1, makes the gas gauge goes in reverse, and speedometer does not work. Tach and temp gauge are the only things that work.

Quoting myself from the old forums in a thread about SVT clusters:
This really needs to be made a sticky because there is too much confusion about gauge cluster installs.

For installing SVT gauges in a 95-98 (not 98.5), it requires that you use a 98 SVT cluster (not 98.5-00).

For installing SVT gauges in a 98.5-00, it requires that you use a 98.5-00 SVT cluster.

TIP : 98 clusters will say NORMAL across the temp. gauge. 98.5-00 clusters will not say anything. Also, the Brake light and ABS light are in opposite positions.

Last edited:
in theory you should be able to swap SE and SVT cluster and the speed will read correctly ... the speedo reads teh vss and displays the speed, the speed displayed is determined in the speedometer itself ...

I put a SVT guage cluster in my SE and it was plug and play, I don't see why it wouldn't work the other way also ..

and Tony is correct on all points ...

a 98 need guages from a 98
98.5 to 00 need gauges from a 98.5 to a 00
to put SVT guages in a pre98 you need to modify the curcuits on the cluster ... not sure if you need a specific one or not ...

also 2/95 was when the change over was made from a mechanical speedo to an electric one ...

Hey gang....
I have a 98 Zetec that only came with a speedo (no tach), so off to the junkyard I went. I pulled the instrument cluster out of a 98-2000 contour zetec that had a tach.
Pulled out the old cluster and plugged in the new one.
Temp and Tach worked fine.
Fuel worked, but the damn low fuel light won't go off (ever) and the speedo / odomoter is WAY OFF! When I am doing about 50 it is pegged at over 130mph. Odometer is equally off.
It was sugested I get a different speedo, so back to the junkyard I went.
I got one, opened up the cluster, swapped out the speedo, but it has the same issues.
Any ideas please !!!!

2000 Svt Gauge Cluster

2000 Svt Gauge Cluster

I bough a 2000 SVT Guage Cluster on E-Bay. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I have a 95 SE. Consequently, these guages will not work.
Anybody want to buy a Used 2000 SVT guage cluster, Cheap?

:crazy:

i have a 95 contour lx and i installed 98 svt gauges and everything works right the fuel gauge goes in the right direction temp gauge to also all the warning lights work--it took me 3 hrs of total time wire by wire and trial by error i can be done only if you have an electric speedo not cable driven

Did you happen to write everything down, when you say "wire by wire"
Are you willing to share this information?

Back