• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wheel Bearing Replacement - with pics

Bugzuki

Veteran CEG'er
Here is what I did to replace the wheel bearings:

• Remove the Wheel
  • Remove the axle nut (I got some hired help for this part) Use a 1-1/4 socket. On assembly torque to 200 - 210 lb/ft
axlenut.JPG

• Remove Caliper (in this picture I was removing the torx bolts, size 45, but realized I just needed to remove the two hex bolts and remove the bracket at the same time as the caliper)
calipertorxbolts.JPG

• Remove Brake Rotor
removerotor.JPG

• Release ABS Sensor Cable from catch (a flat head screw driver works nicely)
abscable.JPG

• Remove sensor (8mm bolt)
removeabssensor.JPG

• Disconnect Steering Tie Rod (15mm)
  • Hit knuckle attachment point to pop the tie rod free
tierodpound.JPG

• Disconnect Control Arm Ball Joint (18mm and I usually use a large Screw driver (lost my large torx and forget to buy new))
balljointbolt.JPG

• Pry ball joint out of knuckle - I made a prototype tool for this
pryoutballjoint.JPG

• Remove axle from hub - I have found that it works good to use a punch in the center of the axle shaft. Tap it with a hammer until it is loose
popoutaxle.JPG

• Remove the Knuckle bolt
removeupperknucklebolt.JPG

Continued in next post.

5char

Please add this post after the first part.

• Remove the knuckle by tapping it off with a hammer (does not have to be real hard)
tapknuckleoff.JPG

• Catch the knuckle before it falls - notice all the beautiful rust
removeknuckle.JPG

Now it is time to press the hub and bearings out - I have a press if you do not you will want to take the knuckles somewhere to have this work done.

• Press the hub out - I used a 1-1/8" socket to extend the press
pressouthub.JPG

• Next take the retainer clip out of the outside of the bearing (forgot the picture)
  • Press the bearing out
bearingout.JPG

• Once the bearing is out you can easily remove the inner clip - You will need to remove this to put the new bearing in.
  • Reinstall the outer clip to stop the bearing at the right spot
  • Press the new bearing in - I did this from the inside of the knuckle using the old bearing to press on the outside of the new bearing - instead of pressing on the inner race an possibly messing up the bearing
newbearingin.JPG

• Put in the inner retaining clip
  • Press the hub in (new or used if still ok) - you can see the inner retaining clip in this picture
hubin.JPG

This time when I removed the hub the inner bearing race came with it. If this happens you will have to figure out how to get it off. Here is how I did it.

• Oh no stuck bearing race
stuckbearingrace.JPG

• Break out the die grinder with cutoff wheel
  • Grind the race - trying not to cut into the hub - I got mine a little
grindrace.JPG

• Use a large chisel to crack the race - do this by putting it in the cut and smacking it with the hammer
  • Then you should be able to pop the race loose
crackandpop.JPG

• Now it should come right off
removerace.JPG

Better stop now since I hit my second limit of 10 pictures.

Let me know if I left anything out.
Install in reverse order as removed. I am not just saying that. Everything goes together perfect that way.

Back