• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

what are you using to tune it with? are you keeping the stock ecu or going after market?

I'm using SCT's ProRacer Package Advantage III software. I've got a pretty good stab at a base tune, but I'll be using DB Performance for the final tuning on a dyno. Only reason I would change out the stock SVT ECM would be due to issues with driving the Injector Dynamic 1000cc injectors for both pump gas and E85 tunes.

i guess your right. but sometimes with such high built car. its better to have a system that its alot easier to control and tune. like magasquirt for example

i guess your right. but sometimes with such high built car. its better to have a system that its alot easier to control and tune. like magasquirt for example

I'll be honest there isn't much to control with the car's ECM. Injectors are the only thing that my ECM will be really controlling. To do that the ECM is reading my programmed BA2400 MAF, which required me to update the MAF transfer function. I think the only other sensors that play into the mix are the temp senor, cam sensor, crank sensor, and the knock sensor. The ECM will also drive some timing changes throughout, but I'm using a MSD DIS-4 with a Accel SuperCoil to run the show. My Aeromotive fuel controller is driving the fuel pump, and my HKS EVC5 boost controller regulates the air flow.

In the end all the engine needs is air, fuel, and spark ;) Two of those are controlled outside the OEM ECM. I guess I'm just not willing to put the time and effort into a MegaSquirt system to only control my injectors and timing. Although the one nice benefit would be if I could control everything with one box and only mess with tuning at one place.

yea and theres no problem with that since its not going to be a full racecar. its a fun car, you build it and dont touch it. a/w i was judst curious, and im pretty stoked about your build, so i wont be wasting more time on this;)

yea and theres no problem with that since its not going to be a full racecar. its a fun car, you build it and dont touch it. a/w i was judst curious, and im pretty stoked about your build, so i wont be wasting more time on this;)

Ha. Well I don't know about the 'build it and dont touch it' statement. It will eventually reach racecar status I think, just not right away. No time wasted here, not like I'm working on the thing right at this moment. Time is pretty much limited to the weekends and even that is difficult since that is the only free time I have to do everything else. I don't like starting a part of the project and not being able to finish it. While I can't say no question is a stupid question... these particular questions were worth answering ;)

well im glad i ask worthy questions. lol. if i could i would like to look at your datalogs sometime like 50 million years from now when you finish the build. :crazy:

Megasquirt can be configured to run all of those things and more. I'll be running MS2 with 3 Bosch ignitors to control spark, (I'm running the coils directly, but you could use 3 MDS 6a boxes for multiple discharge) fuel, innercooler fans, coolant fans, boost controller, and knock sensor retard. MS2 is batch fire instead of full sequential, but that only increases low power emissions a hair. It's no detriment at WOT.

Just sayin... Like you said, it's nice to directly control ALL functions from one laptop in one program.

Megasquirt can be configured to run all of those things and more. I'll be running MS2 with 3 Bosch ignitors to control spark, (I'm running the coils directly, but you could use 3 MDS 6a boxes for multiple discharge) fuel, innercooler fans, coolant fans, boost controller, and knock sensor retard. MS2 is batch fire instead of full sequential, but that only increases low power emissions a hair. It's no detriment at WOT.

Just sayin... Like you said, it's nice to directly control ALL functions from one laptop in one program.

Thanks Luce. I was aware that the MS2 system could do all of that, but that's more time and money. At this point my goal is to get it up and running with what I have. Since I already purchased the SCT system four years ago I'm just going to continue to use that. Unless, as I mentioned, I run into problems trying to drive the 1000cc injectors at a reduced output to run on pump gas. At which point I would most likely sell my SCT setup and move towards the MS2 system.

Do you have many E-85 stations around you? Its all i use in my truck because CO has a lot of stations, one right down the street from me which is typically the cheaper station, been filling up the last couple months for 2.99, went back to fill up again the other day and its dropped to 2.49 while regular was still 3.42.

Do you have many E-85 stations around you? Its all i use in my truck because CO has a lot of stations, one right down the street from me which is typically the cheaper station, been filling up the last couple months for 2.99, went back to fill up again the other day and its dropped to 2.49 while regular was still 3.42.

Plenty of E-85 around my house in MN. The stuff is everywhere.

You are going to regret not going with a standalone. Both my cars run on them even my daily and I would never have it any other way in a million trillion years. SCT will get the job done in a painful manner, but it sucks. With 615cc injectors, MS2, Eboost control, COP setup, AND dynotime I am $700 deep. Effective money spent = rolling projects imho.

Been a while. Should have some decent updates by Mon-Tues. Received my updated power coating setup and was able to finish off some odds and ends today. I'll have more pics this weekend, but the good stuff will be no later then Tues.

Back