• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

qo58.jpg

rattle can that rusty rear intermediate shaft while you're waiting (satin black) .... it'll look great when it's re-assembled .... G.

^^I was thinking the same thing. I also cant believe you are putting the roll restrictor mounts in like that. Can't believe you have powdercoated those yet Mike. lol

I am only kidding. Just get this beast together, and piddle with this tiny detail •••• later.

Well no alternator today. Looks like UPS is twiddling their damn thumbs because it arrived in Minneapolis yesterday at 6:45pm.

I was tempted to power coat or paint the mounts and shaft, but I just don't care anymore to be honest. No one is going to see those components... so why put the extra effort into them. Even if I sprayed the shaft it would be rusty again in about three months. Powder coating is a different story, but I'm focusing on getting the car up and running. Clearly SZ13 is not happening. I had high hopes of making it, but things are just dragging on. Next up is CarCraft Summer Nat's in MN maybe I can make that show.

question, why wait to order the parts when you got to the point of installing them? you knew you were going to get the starter and alternator long ago, so why wait til zero hour?

Honestly I didn't want to tie up my money in parts to just have them sit in my basement. It's bad enough that I've been sitting on the turbo kit for three years and don't even get me started on what I've got in the engine.

The other problem that I have is with the parts I did buy a while back... their warranty has already expired and I haven't even used them yet. So if I have any problems with some of these expensive parts I'm up a creek without a paddle.

i understand that. the alternators i bought have lifetime warranties, and im sure you could find a starter with one as well. i know youve got more in your motor than i do, but its sooo much fun

i understand that. the alternators i bought have lifetime warranties, and im sure you could find a starter with one as well. i know youve got more in your motor than i do, but its sooo much fun

With pretty much all the performance parts I buy they only honor a 1-2 year warranty. The starter and alternator I bought are high output and only come with a 1 year warranty because of it.

Well here is an update on the last few days.

I received my alternator, but it would appear that they increased the diameter of the housing for the higher output rating. Even though they indicated it would fit in the factory space. So I had to put spacers in on all the bolts to kick it out 1/2" I'm hoping it will still clear the firewall, but who knows now. The header clearance is certainly tight.

vfqs.jpg
ciyw.jpg

I also managed to clean up my front header. I had previously blasted, sanded, and polished my rear header, but just now was able to complete the front one. Pretty shiny ;)

dcil.jpg

you want the factory ford exhaust manifold gaskets...the MLS ones. the ford hardware looks good. i could mail you 2 new packages of nuts as a donation...i do alot of manifolds as the gas and diesel heavy tech at Ford...;)

you want the factory ford exhaust manifold gaskets...the MLS ones. the ford hardware looks good. i could mail you 2 new packages of nuts as a donation...i do alot of manifolds as the gas and diesel heavy tech at Ford...;)

Yup already have all new hardware and I've got Felpro gaskets which I have had good luck with.

Keep in mind that you need to change the plug on the harness for the alternator.

Yup, already on the look out for a 3 pin Amp seal connector.

Quiet, you guys are going to make him change his mind and then spend another week waiting for new gaskets to arrive!

I did. It was the Powermax 160amp alternator. However keep in mind I needed to use a 02 Cougar alternator bracket to clear the oil port I needed to feed the main bearings with the Accusump. So I bought an 02 Cougar alternator... I'm guessing you bought a Contour one?

Last edited:
Back