• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Hold the build! Not low enough, start over!

I like the third picture with your feet in it. Its looks like one of those beach pictures you see that are POV. Were you happen to be drinking a Corona too?

So I brought my engine and trans up to the garage. Started assembling the flywheel and then put the clutch on.. and then I noticed something.

8sul.jpg

I forgot to put the damn spacer plate on. So now I need to uninstall everything to put the stupid thing on, ugh

I've done it before too Mikey, at least you saw it now. Unbolt the clutch and flywheel, and do it again :D

One of the best parts of finally putting things back together, is every step takes one more part off your table or floor that's been cluttering everything up. As soon as you run out of parts, you should be finished!

So I brought my engine and trans up to the garage....
Hope you didn't strain yourself. That's some serious production for one whole week! :lol:

Day one: Glance at motor in basement.
Day two: Think about bringing motor to garage.
Day three: Naaaah.
Day four: I...think...I'll.......watch TV instead.
Day five: Plan out my outfit that I'll wear for the motor movement process.
Day six: Set that sexy of a beast outfit out for easy access and unlace shoes for easy slip on.
Day seven: tick tock....tick tock...tick tock...
9:00pm: Move motor.
9:15pm: Install flywheel and clutch the wrong way.
9:50pm: Realize I did it wrong.
10:00-10:45pm: *cuss words*
11:00pm: Shower.
11:15pm: Post on CEG so B can make fun of me.

Love giving you crapola, Mike! :laugh: :cool:

Oh B what would I do without you. I didn't install the clutch wrong though... Just forgot a part that should have been behind it.

EDIT: So when you going to swing by my place? We should grab a beer some time. Give me a call/text.

Last edited:
So I got the flywheel and clutch back on. Glad I did though as I needed to move one of the dowel pins over to a different bolt hole. I haven't completely cinched up the clutch though. My torque wrenches don't cover the needed torque. Flippin 1/4" inch-lb torque wrench goes up to 23.7Nm and my 1/2" wrench torque wrench starts out at 43.3Nm. So looks like I'm in the market to finally buy a 3/8" torque wrench to get my 29Nm :p

Anyone in the area want to borrow me one ;)

SZ seems to be slipping away. I may end up having to drive my brothers RX8 if he lets me take it on a road trip.

Hi Mike,
is this the Fidanza Flywheel???
Which spacer do you need here?

Yes its a Fidanza. tm talking about the factory spacer plate that goes between the block and the bell housing of the transmission. It's not for the flywheel.

I usually use the "good enough torque" spec myself. :cool:

Yea I'll do that on somethings, but not engine or suspension components.

I ended up buying a Craftsmen torque wrench to get me by. Although I think I'll end up grabbing a Gearwrench torque wrench later on as Ive been told it has the same internals as my Matco ones.

In any case the clutch is all cinched up and I'll be assembling the trans to the block this weekend with hopes of having it installed in the car as well.

A little more progress. Since I'm ready for it now I put in the order for the 160amp alternator and a new starter.

ml8a.jpg

iuj1.jpg

What alternator did you go with? I have to switch back to the contour style alt to run my headers.

Its great to see this car coming together, I love builds that are no expense spared for the most part and gone through with a fine tooth comb.

What alternator did you go with? I have to switch back to the contour style alt to run my headers.

Its great to see this car coming together, I love builds that are no expense spared for the most part and gone through with a fine tooth comb.

I went with a 02 Cougar 160amp high output alternator to allow me to use the oil port on the block that feeds the main bearings with the Accusump oil accumulator.

Got my starter today. Hopefully I get the alternator in the next day or so as well. Getting close...

64au.jpg

05ds.jpg

qo58.jpg

Last edited:
Back