• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Why are you brushing the stainless off? Do you not like the "color" of the welds? Or are you having shielding issues? I noticed you are purging the tubing. :thumbsup: ( 5 cfm ? )

Well I take that back, it was an air hose. You still may be doing so, but it was not what I originally thought.

I'm cleaning the welds to make it easier to identify any issues (pinholes). I am purging the tube at ~5cfm. The air hose you see is hooked up to a regulator on the argon tank.

and annihilate the rubber donut gasket in the tank holding the OEM filler neck. So I had to make a flange to epoxy to the tank and a new filler neck to mate to that flange via a short section of E85 compatible hose.

Filler neck is just about finished. I need to make up the new ss tabs to weld on to the neck and then weld on the threaded bung w/cap that I picked up from Pro-Werks. After that I have to drill holes into the filler neck and weld on the SS 3/8" vent tube to it.

ahh, thanks

looks damn good man!

what sort of epoxy is recommended for fuel system stuff?

Alright well I have solved my fuel filler neck problem. I found that Loctite Durabond E-120HP epoxy is compatible with E85 and gasoline. So I will be removing the filler neck seal in the tank and cutting off the tube with the windows for the filler neck retainer off. I will then be welding up a stainless steel port that will also have a OEM plastic flapper installed on it. This will be epoxied to the tank using the Durabond E-120HP. Next I'll be welding up a new filler neck section to replace the majority of the OEM filler neck. This will be connected to the port and the filler port via a rubber hose from a Silverado Flex Fuel truck. The filler port itself is still up in the air. I may be using a Newton-Equipment Aero 300 piece ($$$), but I'm also investigating OEM filler necks that I could pick up for cheap.

There's your answer

First tab is on. Need to install the filler tube on the car to ensure the correct location of the other tab as well.

fillertab640x361.jpg

Well dang it. I ran out of shielding gas again.

I fit up the filler pipe to the car and marked out where the second tab needed to be. Over all I'm pretty happy with the piece. Although I'm going to have to redo the port I built for the tank because it's going to have to come out at a 45° bend.

I hope to have the tank refilled tomorrow and pics of the complete filler neck up tomorrow night. Stay tuned...

Well if things were easy everyone would be doing it...

More pics. Need to add a tab to bolt the neck near the plastic shroud, but otherwise your looking at the first SVT Contour SS filler neck ;)

fillerneck1.jpg
fillerneck2.jpg

fillerneck3.jpg
fillerneck4.jpg

Last edited:
Filler neck is FINALLY complete. Now I need to take what I've completed on my original fuel tank and repeat it on my new OEM tank. Hope to have the new tank complete this week and installed in the car. Then all that is left is to crimp fuel lines and install the powertrain ;) There is light at the end of the tunnel.

fillerpipecomplete.jpg

fillerneck2.jpg

the color of your car in this pic reminds me of an ST220 in performance blue .... i'm a fan. It will be good to see the whole car. ... G.

Yup, HOK TruBlue certainly pops.

Here are some pics of the tank modifications needed for the new filler neck. I hope to have the new port flange welded up by tomorrow afternoon. Stay tuned.

tankmod1.jpg
tankmod2.jpg

tankmod3.jpg
tankmod4.jpg

I had to work late today so I didn't get as far as I wanted, but I did get the pie cuts for the 45° bend made, the flange cut and cleaned, and the tube welded to the flange. Tomorrow the wife has softball so I may not be able to finish it tomorrow either, but it should be pretty dang close if I can get home from work at a decent time.

Back