• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

The final battle with the filler neck has started.

piecutsfiller.jpg

this build makes me feel less bad about how long it has taken me to build my rx7. He started 11/09, i started 9/09.
the difference is mine is now up and running! Hopefully he isn't too far from that.

Only difference is that parts are easily obtainable for the RX7 and most of the conversions people do with them. The SVT Contour... not so much. Hence all the dang fab work I've had to do.

I see you are still in your work clothes too! Kakis, loafers, and welding, nice :cool: :laugh:.

naaa, he got those at DSW. Minimum baller level would be red-wings.

csvt, seriously I just wait for the day where you assemble it without worrying about the trivialities of things like: how do I put gas in the car, and just get the basics of it sorted out.

I see you are still in your work clothes too! Kakis, loafers, and welding, nice :cool: :laugh:.

Ha, caught that did you. Yea as soon as I got home from work I went out into the garage and started welding.

csvt, seriously I just wait for the day where you assemble it without worrying about the trivialities of things like: how do I put gas in the car, and just get the basics of it sorted out.

Caterpillar bought my shoes, they are Red-Wing steel toe slip ons... I chose them at the store. Quite comfy, which was important since I'm at my desk most of the time and didn't want to change shoes to go out into the R&D shop or the factory assembly line.

I too can't wait till I can simply put the dang thing together. I'm growing tired of having to fight all of these little battles. I desperately want to just enjoy the car already.

Last edited:

Red Wings are now considered baller shoes? What is this world coming to!??!?! They make a great shoe and they are local for us MN people, but they are now a status symbol?!

thats a beautiful fuel filler neck that nobody aside from us will ever see.

I forgot why this was needed, custom fuel cell? or have you just hit that point of OCD where your next move will by to learn how to make tires from scratch? ;)

e85 will eat the stock one

and annihilate the rubber donut gasket in the tank holding the OEM filler neck. So I had to make a flange to epoxy to the tank and a new filler neck to mate to that flange via a short section of E85 compatible hose.

Filler neck is just about finished. I need to make up the new ss tabs to weld on to the neck and then weld on the threaded bung w/cap that I picked up from Pro-Werks. After that I have to drill holes into the filler neck and weld on the SS 3/8" vent tube to it.

fillernearcomplete.jpg

Why are you brushing the stainless off? Do you not like the "color" of the welds? Or are you having shielding issues? I noticed you are purging the tubing. :thumbsup: ( 5 cfm ? )

Well I take that back, it was an air hose. You still may be doing so, but it was not what I originally thought.

Last edited:
Back