• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

I need to get away from the snow.

That's what the heated garage is for...

But yea I hear ya. If I didn't have a solid, good paying job I'd be moving south. I'll probably end up in Arizona or Georgia some day when I'm ready to retire.

Mike, I'm glad you went with the JD² bender and not some garbage from Snap Off tools (Harbor Freight). Did you speak with a rep about the radius you're trying to bend vs tube wall thickness? There might not be pre-bent SS tube in the diameter you're looking for because it has a tendency to kink or buckle the thinner wall tube. You might be forced to pie cut sections and weld them like this:
Picture951Medium-1.jpg

This is not my work, just an image I pulled to give you an idea. :)

I know you're new to the world of TIG welding so I wanted to point something out that has the potential of being bad. That little bugger is known as "undercut", which I circled in red.
flangeundercut.jpg

That little stinker drastically reduces the cross section of the material and is prone to cracking, especially under vehicle vibration.
It's hard to determine what the main cause was without watching you weld, but typically the main causes are too much heat coupled with the wrong "stinger" angle or not enough filler material being added to the puddle.

If it were me, personally I would redo the part. Another option, which is real common in the structural industry is to lay another pass down ontop of the previous. Taking extra care not to make the same mistake.

I think I read you were having trouble getting the arc where you wanted it to be...don't be affraid to play around a bit. Something I would try right away is a larger gas cup and extending the tungsten further out so I can get it in closer to the seam and maybe even some thinner filler rod (not sure what you used). If you are still having trouble let me know, I'll come over and help you. :cool:

Hey B thanks for the info. As for the bender and the die I went with a larger radius sized for the wall thickness I'm using. I picked up the 1-1/2" with a clr of 6.5" for 180°. This carries a minimum wall thickness of 0.058" and I'm using 0.065" wall T304. As for the pre-bent it was capable.. it's just an odd ball size. They had 45, 90, 135, and 180. I needed 55-65° and a 95-105° bend.

As for the torch setup I was running a #6 gas lense collar with a 1/16 tungsten and a 1/16 308 filler rod. Looking at the inside of the tube showed good penetration. Maybe if you have some time I could show you the part in person and you can see what you think. However like I had mentioned before I was riding up the tube and then back down to the plate and then back up again. I probably brought the torch higher up in the spot. I wasn't taking the torch and going in a straight line around the seam, which may be what you were thinking.

Last edited:
did I miss the pictures of the traction bars somehow?

been trying to keep up with this build, but at almost 200 pages and several years in the making, I'm not sure when you finished them...

hey, just saw a guy with these on ST200 owners on FaceBook, thought they might look niv=ce in your car, if you don't already have a blue themed shift knob picked out:

66429_10151523306290081_1385032550_n.jpg

also, and this is just a thought, I wonder if CrazyTalk would sell you his front bumper since he's selling the car.

that would be truly epic, sort of complete the SVT/ST hybrid you have going...

hey, just saw a guy with these on ST200 owners on FaceBook, thought they might look niv=ce in your car, if you don't already have a blue themed shift knob picked out:

66429_10151523306290081_1385032550_n.jpg

also, and this is just a thought, I wonder if CrazyTalk would sell you his front bumper since he's selling the car.

that would be truly epic, sort of complete the SVT/ST hybrid you have going...

Interesting looking knob, but I've got different plans already. Also that would be the first I heard of CrazyTalk selling his car. Plus, not sure where your getting the SVT/ST hybrid... if anything this would be a SVT/Noble M400 hybrid.

Interesting looking knob, but I've got different plans already. Also that would be the first I heard of CrazyTalk selling his car. Plus, not sure where your getting the SVT/ST hybrid... if anything this would be a SVT/Noble M400 hybrid.

As soon as I read his post I went looking for the car for sale(want) and couldn't find anything unless he's referring to his sig. SVT/Noble FTW.

he's got:
CrazyTalkSVT said:
2000 Contour SVT #180 with custom goodnesses built and installed. Buy it from me so you have one of the best and so I can relieve myself from the Contour community.
in his signiture, took that as him trying to unload his car...

as for the SVT/ST thing, I was referring to how your painting it a very similar blue to the ST200's, painting the dash cluster cowl the same color blue, and putting in blue and black seats. your car is going to look very ST in color scheme, plus you have the ST220 UIM.

as far as your engine? I'd call it more of an ST220/Noble M400 hybrid. there's not really any SVT left in there is there?

thats just sort of how your build seems to me, thus my suggestions about ST200 bits to round out the look.

[edit] yeah josh, I was referring to his sig. I take he is just joking then....

Stainless steel tube... be prepared to be cut like butter. This puppy will cut 1/4" to 2-5/8" with no problems. I bought this thing because I was so tired of cutting tube and being left with just a nasty finish and all kinds of burrs. It was time consuming to clean up the ends. Now with this tool... time and effort will be cut to a 1/4 of what it was before. It can handle pretty decent wall thickness as well. For those of you wondering the Ridgid p/n is 31803, replacement wheel is 29973. Best price I found was at PlumbersStock.com

On another note bender arrives Tues, but the die probably won't be here until next weekend.

65scutter.jpg

Last edited:
gotta rub it in/ motivate you a bit. picked up my car today. i dont have quite the power you are going to have (348/286), but i can tell you whatever you had planned to run for street tires isnt enough :D

Stainless steel tube... be prepared to be cut like butter. This puppy will cut 1/4" to 2-5/8" with no problems. I bought this thing because I was so tired of cutting tube and being left with just a nasty finish and all kinds of burrs. It was time consuming to clean up the ends. Now with this tool... time and effort will be cut to a 1/4 of what it was before. It can handle pretty decent wall thickness as well. For those of you wondering the Ridgid p/n is 31803, replacement wheel is 29973. Best price I found was at PlumbersStock.com

On another note bender arrives Tues, but the die probably won't be here until next weekend.

65scutter.jpg

so it cuts exhaust...

let us know how much it rounds in the ends, I might be looking to pick one up. tired of cleaning up after the saws-all with the grinder...

Back