• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Most recent purchase!

Most recent purchase!

Say hello to variable mapped boost :D, the HKS EVC 6. Found a deal on eBay and couldn't pass it up. Saved myself $200 off retail. Cheapest I found it before that was $608 :shocked:

hks3.jpg

hks1x.jpg

hks2.jpg

Yea but your no longer in the MN chapter :laugh:... silly Wiscony boy :crazy:

Not true, I sit on the border of both chapters. I "technically" still live in MN (La Crescent), but live only 3 miles from Wisconsin border and La Crosse. Nobody knows where the hell La Crescent is, but most regional people know of La Crosse. So I changed my loc to there.

Say hello to variable mapped boost :D, the HKS EVC 6. Found a deal on eBay and couldn't pass it up. Saved myself $200 off retail. Cheapest I found it before that was $608 :shocked:

hks3.jpg

hks1x.jpg

hks2.jpg

Never even heard of one of these. This build is going to be a really nice setup.

What are you planning on for the intercooler and radiator setup to prevent over heating problems like fastcougar had?

Never even heard of one of these. This build is going to be a really nice setup.

What are you planning on for the intercooler and radiator setup to prevent over heating problems like fastcougar had?

Yea I'm stoked. The HKS EVC 6 will allow me to set my boost based off of throttle body position and rpm/vehicle speed.

Not sure what issues fastcougar had... should probably search that over on NECO.

I'm just going to take a stab at what his problem may have been without looking into it... knowing the issues that I have at work when we are designing cooling packages for our machines and stacking cores I'm guessing the fan speed on his car was to slow (assuming he maintained the OEM fans) to provide enough air flow through the package with the intercooler sitting in front (again assuming his intercooler was a front mount) with the added load on the engine.

I myself with my setup have my fans kicking on at a lower speed to prevent high coolant temps to begin with (which he may have done as well I dont know), however that may not be enough if this car seems long durations of heavy loads (ie track events). I have in my back pocket a plan however. I have a spare SVT radiator that I can always send to Griffin or Fluidyne to make me a thicker core aluminum radiator. Also I can always step up to aftermarket electric fans which have a higher rpm to provide enough flow through both the radiator core and intercooler core... or the backup plan to that would be to run an air-to-water intercooler (I already have a high flow water pump and tank setup I can use) or... ok here is the list :laugh:

Plan A set fans to kick on sooner with SCT PRP (already done with my current NA tune)
Plan B mount intercooler/radiator core spray system electronically controlled to kick on in heavy load conditions
Plan C send in spare radiator to Griffin/Fluidyne to design core for heavy load conditions
Plan D switch to air-water intercooler to open up radiator core to more airflow.
Plan E switch to higher speed aftermarket fans
Plan F install water injection system

If none of these work... drive car off cliff

nice!!! it might be presumptous of me, but i'll venture and say that we're witnessing history. at this rate, u just might end up to be the person with the most expensive contour.

Thanks for the compliments. That would be cool, but I'm sure a year after I'm done something bigger and better will have come along. Personally I think warmonger, BurritaSVT, Goumba... just to name a few have set the bar pretty high.

Most expensive Contour... maybe. However I still think (because of my original purchase price of $600.00 :crazy:) it will have cost me less then going out and buying a new car. Hell I bet I will have much less into this car then what the original sticker price was for a SVT Contour.... which I believe was in the realm of $22k? So again most expensive... if there is someone out there that is the original owner of their SVT Contour... not likely.

I myself with my setup have my fans kicking on at a lower speed to prevent high coolant temps to begin with (which he may have done as well I dont know), however that may not be enough if this car seems long durations of heavy loads (ie track events). I have in my back pocket a plan however. I have a spare SVT radiator that I can always send to Griffin or Fluidyne to make me a thicker core aluminum radiator. Also I can always step up to aftermarket electric fans which have a higher rpm to provide enough flow through both the radiator core and intercooler core... or the backup plan to that would be to run an air-to-water intercooler (I already have a high flow water pump and tank setup I can use) or... ok here is the list :laugh:

Plan A set fans to kick on sooner with SCT PRP (already done with my current NA tune)
Plan B mount intercooler/radiator core spray system electronically controlled to kick on in heavy load conditions
Plan C send in spare radiator to Griffin/Fluidyne to design core for heavy load conditions
Plan D switch to air-water intercooler to open up radiator core to more airflow.
Plan E switch to higher speed aftermarket fans
Plan F install water injection system

If none of these work... drive car off cliff

Hahaha it sounds like you have a plan, just wanted to make sure.

But hey if you do drive it off a cliff, at least let me drive it first.

Hahaha it sounds like you have a plan, just wanted to make sure.

But hey if you do drive it off a cliff, at least let me drive it first.

Not a problem...

Plan G let SJon85 drive car
Plan H drive car off cliff :laugh:

setting the cooling fans to turn on sooner is a good starting point. I have done this with my car and the coolant temps stay in check. oil temp is good most of the time, except after a long run flat out it gets up there some but isn't bad.

setting the cooling fans to turn on sooner is a good starting point. I have done this with my car and the coolant temps stay in check. oil temp is good most of the time, except after a long run flat out it gets up there some but isn't bad.

I'm willing to bet if you went to a oil-air oil cooler your oil temps would stay in check as well. If your coolant is hot, well your oil is only going to be much hotter.

anyone ever measure the volume of the 04 taurus mani? i can do it i just dont know how you guys are doing it i want to do it the same way so it's accurate.

Trevor's overheating problem was caused by a loose ground for the fan setup, which wasn't found till he pulled the engine and started selling stuff off.

This looks like a well thought out build!

Trevor's overheating problem was caused by a loose ground for the fan setup, which wasn't found till he pulled the engine and started selling stuff off.

This looks like a well thought out build!

Thanks. I've been thinking about doing this project for over 2 years now. Finally had the ammo to pull the trigger.

Back