• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Not bad at all for starting out. Be sure to make a plate or whatever and block it off. Pump it up with a few lbs just to make sure there aren't any pinholes. Sometimes you can't see them whatsoever till they start bubbling up under pressure. Took me a few welds to start getting 100% leak free all the time.

Looks like you could use a few more amps on that weld, my 2 cents.

Great work starting out! Like 2000ZxT said, you should definitely do a leak test (seal her up, with one end connected to a compressed air line, stick her under water, and look for bubbles) or buy some dye-penetrant (much easier for this large piece) from your local welding supplier.

If the thickness of both pieces is the same, try to get an even 45deg. fillet weld for penetration into the joint. With that 45deg face, you'll have the best strength, since both legs of the weld are the same length. Watch for the bottom edge of the puddle to wet into the base metal. If the edge is just rolling over, put a little more heat into it.

I agree with Gorman as well. The more freedom of movement you have, the better! The bolt-thru with a large plate under the sheet metal would provide enough force without warping the part. Place some opposing tack welds around the tube at 12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock. Skip around like tightening lug nuts on a car, leaving plenty of time between each weld for the part to cool. This will keep distortion to a minimum.

This thread needs more welding! :cool:

Thanks for all the compliments and tips. The table I have is capable of being set at various angles, one of which is 45deg. As for the questions around the MIG welding... the reason why I decided to sell it off and buy a TIG was because I didn't like switching out the wire and having to run different gases to go from steel to stainless to aluminum. It was costly and inefficient. None of the projects I do are large enough were TIG welding becomes a pain. Plus with TIG welding it's cleaner and produces a better finish.

So when I was welding this I was having a difficult time getting the arc to hit the seam between the tube and the plate to puddle. What I ended up doing to get things going was working from the tube to the plate and back up to the tube (hence the wide bead). I was running this at a peak of 70amps, which is pretty high for 18ga sheet/tube, but of course I was feathering it as I went along making sure not to burn through. The penetration looks good on the back side as well as in the tube. However we'll see how things look once I cut through the plate to make the hole for the fill.

Flange is finally completed. I received my bead forming tool earlier this week. Went out and bought the appropriate holes saws tonight and here it is below. I also just purchased some pre-bent mandrel stainless steel tubing for the filler neck. I was going to buy a nice tubing bender, but couldn't justify spending a few thousand on something that I only have an immediate need to use four times. For the fill cap I decided to go with a Pro-Werks stainless steel 1-1/2" OD weld bung and a nice fill cap, also shown below.

flangeside.jpg
flangebottom.jpg

C73-730_1.jpg

Well I guess I have to retract my previous statement... I double checked my measurements on the filler neck and as it turns out the bends I need can not be purchased as pre-bent tubes :mad:

So I just dropped some bills on a JD2 Model 32 bender, stand, and die. Good news is I'll have no problem fabing up my traction bar supports. Bars are already finished ;) I'll also be able to bend exhaust with this guy too. This two week lead time for the equipment is going to be putting a damper on my plans though.

I want a bender so badly!

Yea I figure this way I can build my roll cage, traction bar support, harness bars... list goes on and on. Pairing this with my TIG welder... be prepared CEG there's going to be some parts coming to the GB section ;)

Yea I figure this way I can build my roll cage, traction bar support, harness bars... list goes on and on. Pairing this with my TIG welder... be prepared CEG there's going to be some parts coming to the GB section ;)

Love it! I've said it many times: I'll spend more money on tools/materials/time to build something myself than it would cost to just pay someone to do it for me. A lot of people don't get it. You clearly do.

Love it! I've said it many times: I'll spend more money on tools/materials/time to build something myself than it would cost to just pay someone to do it for me. A lot of people don't get it. You clearly do.

I definitely agree with that statement. My only problem now is... I don't have nearly enough room for all my cool stuff.

Hopefully in about a years time I will accomplish the following....

-finish Tour build (or at least get it to a running, driving/racing state)
-finish the basement in my house
-put my Camaro back together and get it running and driving.
-last and most important... sell my house and buy one that has a massive garage or at least room to build one.

Thanks.

how about making some tubular control arms???

You know I didn't even think about that... I'll definitely add that to the list. I should be able to pull something together. Although I want to focus on getting what I can completed with the die that I purchased. Dies for these benders are not cheap, ranging from $190-450 for a single die. Control arms would require a much smaller die then the 1-1/2" one that I purchased. I plan to complete my traction bar setup, updated rear strut tower brace with bends to allow more trunk space, and a harness bar.

It would be nice to start on a Pre98 CF Trunk GB, just saying!

Yes that is on the plate for this summer. I have had everything I needed to get that going for quite some time. However I want to have my car up and running/driving first. The reality is the trunk project will not resume until June/July at the earliest.

I wish you were closer. I'm trying to find someone to split a new 1800 SF heated shop with me.

:drool:

I recently inquired about a garage near by in Blaine. It is built by Garage Solution Condominiums and is inside a gated area. Pretty nice facilities, but spendy. It's 25'x40' (1000sqft) and carries a price tag of $77k or I could get a 44'x45' (1980sqft), which comes with loft and finished flooring and costs $221k. So yea not happening.

Last edited:
:drool:

I recently inquired about a garage near by in Blaine. It is built by Garage Solution Condominiums and is inside a gated area. Pretty nice facilities, but spendy. It's 25ftx40' (1000sqft) and carries a price tag of $77k. So yea not happening.

$780/month + CAM charges and utilities. I want it so bad!

Back