• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

How's this thing coming along?

Well I took a bit of a break, went on vacation down to Orlando, FL. Good timing anyway as I was waiting for some upgraded parts for my TIG torch. So as of right now I'm working on my TIG welding skills. When I feel I can put down a good weld consistently I'll knock out the last couple of pieces for the fuel filler tube. Then it's just a matter of putting together the car.

Well I took a bit of a break, went on vacation down to Orlando, FL. Good timing anyway as I was waiting for some upgraded parts for my TIG torch. So as of right now I'm working on my TIG welding skills. When I feel I can put down a good weld consistently I'll knock out the last couple of pieces for the fuel filler tube. Then it's just a matter of putting together the car.

So, all the paint you wanted to do is done and you don't have to wait until spring when it warms up? :)

So, all the paint you wanted to do is done and you don't have to wait until spring when it warms up? :)

No I still have paint work to do. I'm actually going to put one more coat over the entire car once it is assembled. I've got time scheduled with a friend from work to paint it for me in May.

This thing keeps getting better and better!!! You're gonna make me save up $$$ and come up there and make you an offer you can't refuse... lol j/k

Keep it up bud! ;)

im in orlando fl :D
till when are you gonna be here?

im in orlando fl :D
till when are you gonna be here?

LOL... you missed the key word there.. 'went'. My wife and I were down there from Feb 14-18.

As for an update I'm pretty happy with my welds now. Although I need to find myself a good welding table. I also need to build myself a good heat sink and find a means of back feeding some argon gas to prevent some issues. So until I am able to get that situated I'm not going to be able to finish up the fuel system.

Then I need to plant some corn to make my own ethanol and start refining my own oil which I will extract from a well I am going to build in my backyard. THEN I'll be ready to put this baby together and put it on the road.

Hope you don't mind me poking fun - this popped into my head when reading your update - just finish the damn thing already! :)

Then I need to plant some corn to make my own ethanol and start refining my own oil which I will extract from a well I am going to build in my backyard. THEN I'll be ready to put this baby together and put it on the road.

Hope you don't mind me poking fun - this popped into my head when reading your update - just finish the damn thing already! :)

Oh man... you know the funny thing about your post... I've already thought about that. I actually have a friend who bought a distillery license and agreed that he'll make ethanol for me if I provide some of the equipment ;)

:laugh::laugh: Great stuff man. Lotta funny posts recently... Lovin it

::snip::
As for an update I'm pretty happy with my welds now. Although I need to find myself a good welding table. I also need to build myself a good heat sink and find a means of back feeding some argon gas to prevent some issues. So until I am able to get that situated I'm not going to be able to finish up the fuel system.

I've got a dual-stage regulator with hose you could borrow to dial down the backpurge pressure. A welding supplier should be able to hook you up with a Tee fitting to run two regulators off your bottle. Shoot me a PM if you're interested. :cool:

I've got a dual-stage regulator with hose you could borrow to dial down the backpurge pressure. A welding supplier should be able to hook you up with a Tee fitting to run two regulators off your bottle. Shoot me a PM if you're interested. :cool:

Yup I found a tee and think I'm going to pick up a cheapo regulator for the purging at Harbor Freight this weekend. Just need to find a heat sink now.

There ya go! I know you've done quite a bit of welding, as it's been showcased in this and other threads, but if I may put up a couple of pointers for others looking to perform similar work:

- Have the purge gas hose inserted in one end of the tubing, and seal both ends with a heavy duty masking tape or something similar.
- On the end opposite the purge gas inlet, poke a small hole towards the top to let atmosphere vent, as Argon is heavier than air.
- Use a second two stage regulator and set it to flow ~3-5 cfh of Argon for welding. You can turn up the flow to expedite the purge process, but too much gas flow during welding can create atmospheric turbulence or even cause the molten puddle to blow out of the joint.

I can't wait to see the results of this build. Keep it up man!

Last edited:
There ya go! I know you've done quite a bit of welding, as it's been showcased in this and other threads...

Well I've done a fair bit of MIG welding way back, but not TIG welding. However I think your referring to CrazytalkSVT's amazing work that has been showcased. I don't think I've posted up any of my work on the forum, but perhaps. I've got a fair handle on TIG welding now that I've been practicing, but there is still much to learn I think. I'm just glad I have good friends near by that have a fair amount of experience. Luckily CrazytalkSVT is one of them.

In any case thanks for the compliments!

Well I finally put an order out there for a welding table. I ended up going with the Strong Hand Tool Nomad welding table. It has a work surface of 30" by 20" with three slots for clamps. If anyone else is looking cyberweld.com has a killer price on it, $141.10 with free shipping.

cyberweld_2250_90199559

Well I got it welded. Pretty happy with the results... after all it is only the 6th or 7th time I picked up a TIG torch. The bead is a bit big for what it is, but it will do. Need to clean it up and remove the excess material, but that hard part is finished.

pipeclamp.jpg
pipewelded.jpg

6th time picking up a TIG torch? I'd say better than not bad! Other than the allure of TIG welding, just curious as to why you didn't just get this done with some MIG wire for aluminum/stainless (not 100% what you used there) since you said you already did a lot of MIG?

Either way, awesome job, can't wait to see it up and running!

Well I got it welded. Pretty happy with the results... after all it is only the 6th or 7th time I picked up a TIG torch. The bead is a bit big for what it is, but it will do. Need to clean it up and remove the excess material, but that hard part is finished.
pipewelded.jpg

looks like the welding angle was 60* to the horizontal. Not sure the weld penetrated the tube/ join as well as it penetrated the base plate. When you turn it over and cut the hole in the base plate, you be able to see the extent of the penetration. Also you'll get a second bite of the cherry as you weld the neck from the inside.

Welding off a table with a those clamps, is very tricky. You could have clamped through the center of the tube with a long bolt. This would make it possible to use a rotating base with your table and enable welding with no obstructions. I've seen this done and it makes welding pipework smooth, continuous and easy (bit like a potters' wheel). Some purpose made tables even allow for tilting... so you can achieve 45* without twisting your back or arm.

hope some of that helps with future jobs ....G.

NB. not trying to come off as a smart 4r5e... just passing on what i've seen in my working life.

Back