• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

ATI Subframes?

No estimated delivery date yet...

atishipment.png

but I thought you where going to run the PRT prototype? did I miss something?

What are you talking about? I was always planning on modifying my own subframe, but then I found out that ATI had two modified subframes left so I bought both of them from them. I still am going to modify my subframe when I get it back and then build it up as well. The only thing from PRT that I am using is the rear suspension pieces that I bought, which I posted pictures of before (look at the table of contents I made on the first post...)

Well finally made some progress. I had to rebuild my blast cabinet view window. When I was cleaning it a few weeks ago I broke the dang glass, which was worthless anyway because it was so clouded over. So back in business as of this morning and I've blasted the OEM tank straps, finished making the new PTFE gaskets for the fuel sump, and am in a position to FINALLY put the fuel tank back in, which will allow me to figure out the fuel pump mounting bracket, drill the hole for the sump, and make up the new fuel lines. Should have a TON of pics up tomorrow afternoon.

What are you talking about? I was always planning on modifying my own subframe, but then I found out that ATI had two modified subframes left so I bought both of them from them. I still am going to modify my subframe when I get it back and then build it up as well. The only thing from PRT that I am using is the rear suspension pieces that I bought, which I posted pictures of before (look at the table of contents I made on the first post...)

Oh alright, for some reason I was thinking you'd picked up the whole prototype rear setup from him. now I see you just picked up the arms and you sourced the rear subframe from ATI. good stuff

Well yesterday was a day full of sand blasting and painting. I didn't actually get to any assembly. Garage had a cloud of orange in it from all the rust I was blasting off the rear spindles. However POR15 is my friend. None of this crap will rust again. Just a pain to put on since I have to brush it on. Not going to thin this crap out to spray it. That would be a mess.

brackets1.jpg

brackets2.jpg

tanksstraps.jpg

spindle1.jpg
spindle2.jpg

oilcoolertubes1.jpg
oilcoolertubes2.jpg

Zinc plating FTW... Quite easy too. Biggest effort was put towards finding a zinc anode from a marine store. Started off with D batteries, but upgraded to a lawn mower battery with a charger for more current.

springclampblasted.jpg
setupprep.jpg

setupe.jpg

bubblyx.jpg

springclampsinprocess.jpg
springclampsfinished.jpg

headerbolts.jpg

Maybe I'll throw a how to together from the one I read. It's pretty easy like I said. All you need is vinegar, epsom salt, sugar, and a zinc anode.

Maybe I'll throw a how to together from the one I read. It's pretty easy like I said. All you need is vinegar, epsom salt, sugar, and a zinc anode.
would chroming be possible using this method ? what preparation is needed for good adhesion ? ... G.

Chrome plating at home, while doable what do you do with the toxic solutions after you are done?

The waste is manageable if you dispose of it properly, but if you do it properly it will cost you more then it would to have the work done by a shop. However on top of that it will put off some nasty vapors. You would need a good ventilation system with filters.

Back