• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Waiting on my bulk sheet of teflon to show up so that I can cut the needed gaskets for the sump install on the fuel tank. Rear subframe is still out for sand blasting. Finally got the teflon o-rings on all the fittings. It was a major PITA BTW. I had to stretch the o-rings prior to installing them as the teflon o-rings I got apparently are a durometer of like 80. So some fancy work using my wife's nail polish caps allowed me to gradually increase them in size big enough to slip them over the fittings before they contracted back down to size. Definitely a lot of screwing around.

Still working on how I'm going to implement the Accusump system. The alternator bracket is posing a lot of problems. I though I could just get a 90° fitting to thread into the port on that side, but there are to many casted features around the port to allow it to thread in the fitting. I'm going to see if I can grind off enough area to allow the fitting to thread in. However I guess the backup plan is to route the line to the front side behind the A/C compressor, but I really, really, don't want to do that. This particular issue is preventing me from installing my oil pan. Once it's figured out I can install the pan and mate it up to the transmission.

Last edited:
Making a new alt bracket should take like an hour. I built a custom turbo kit and custom 3" ss exhaust for my daily driver in less than 32 hours. You should make friends with a guy with a good metal shop, this kind of build needs it

Making a new alt bracket should take like an hour. I built a custom turbo kit and custom 3" ss exhaust for my daily driver in less than 32 hours. You should make friends with a guy with a good metal shop, this kind of build needs it

Well, he does know CrazyTalkSVT.

It's not that I couldn't build it in an hour. I'll over think it, over design it, have parts professional cut, and then take two weeks to weld it. Nothing I do can ever be accomplished in just a few hours anymore... unless I'm changing oil or working on someone else's car.

Well, he does know CrazyTalkSVT.

Yeah...
and who do you think is the one draggin' a$$ on that rear subframe "still being out" for sandblasting. *whistle* :rolleyes:

This new job of mine is killing me at 60+ hours a week! I even have to pinch my urination off early before I'm done...I got no time for brackets! :laugh:

Yeah...
and who do you think is the one draggin' a$$ on that rear subframe "still being out" for sandblasting. *whistle* :rolleyes:

This new job of mine is killing me at 60+ hours a week! I even have to pinch my urination off early before I'm done...I got no time for brackets! :laugh:

Oh man... we need to go out for a beer. No rush on the subframe. I have a feeling this car won't be driving this year anyway as much as I would like it to be. However I do need to get it on all four wheels again before we start getting some serious snow/cold temps. I'll never hear the end of it if my wife can't park her car in the garage.

Well I finished up bending new rear brake lines for the car. Only problem is it appears my passenger side rear line going from the flex hose to the caliper back to the hard-line from the abs module was bent. I'll be putting new fittings on the lines and flaring them tomorrow, but I'm hoping to figure out this small issue by then. I created a post in the brake forums (HERE) so please respond there if you can help.

Other then that I'm hoping that the main hard lines for the fuel and brakes will be installed back in the car by the end of the week. Then I'll put in the new shift cables as well, which should be the last little piece before I can throw the engine and trans back in. Barring and major set backs I should be able to start putting in the powertrain this weekend.

just a thought but i would probably bleed the brake the line and apply pressure to the system before you put to much else back into the car. that way if a connection isnt quite right and leaks a little bit you can easily get to it to fix it.

just a thought but i would probably bleed the brake the line and apply pressure to the system before you put to much else back into the car. that way if a connection isnt quite right and leaks a little bit you can easily get to it to fix it.

Already part of the plan ;)

On the Alternator bracket issue, I'm not looking at it or anything but have you looked at the cougar late (01-02) alternator bracket. Its a little different and you would have to change alternators and the plug on your harness. If it works though it might be a lot easier than fabbing a bracket.

Here's a pic of an 01-02 alt/bracket. Maybe this will help some...

2012-11-03_21-44-22_996.jpg

Here's a pic of an 01-02 alt/bracket. Maybe this will help some...

It does help. It actually looks like it might work. I was also looking at Escape 3L alternator brackets and they almost look identical. I searched and found your thread (here) don't suppose the bracket is still available?

EDIT: I posted in your thread as I didn't see anyone that claimed it.

Last edited:
Back