• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

It's looking great can't wait for the day i log in again and see this running!

Well it shouldn't be too long. I took today and tomorrow off and with the 3 day weekend I hope to have the engine in the car. Need to cut and drill the tubes for the oil pan baffles and then weld them all up. The upgraded oil pan baffle I designed is the only thing keeping me from finishing the engine.

wow, FINALY got through the whole thread. Damn that took a long time, but nearly as long as your build though. Just wanted to say it was a great read, and I hope to see your car in person sometime, its great man, keep it up!

;) wow

Sooooooooo.... you will get to drive it for about 2 weeks before winter storage ;). Looking foward to seeing it put together.

Winter storage? Dont think he plans on not driving it at all, a little water on the road from melting snow on a sunny winter day wont hurt.

Oh it will be stored in the winter, but that won't happen until mid/late November. Made a trip to the bone yard today... picked up the bases for my racing seats. Then I designed up an adapter plate to make it work. A lot cheaper then buying the Corbeau seat tracks at $94 a piece plus shipping.

seattracks.jpg

seattracks2.jpg

seattracks3.jpg
fx1proadapterplate.jpg

Last edited:
Winter storage? Dont think he plans on not driving it at all, a little water on the road from melting snow on a sunny winter day wont hurt.

Yeah, you don't live in MN. :) We don't have water on the road on sunny winter days. Normally those are our coldest days of the year....-10F for a high. Not the greatest idea to bring a 500+hp car out on days like that.

I know I saw somewhere waaaay back in the thread that you planned on driving the car year round to work when the weather permitted it, but I aint gonna look back through this thread for that. Honestly never been to MN, but I did live in the rocky mountains at 9k ft with at least 2 feet of snow on the ground during the winter for years, there were still plenty of days where the roads are clear of ice and snowpack. So in MN theres snow packed roads all winter long? I also dont see why the temp would be an issue, I plan on taking my car to the track the most in the winter to take advantage of the colder temps. I was watching videos of people on my local track running with a foot of snow piled up next to the rumble strips :laugh:. I'm not saying its a great idea to be driving the car in the winter with the salt etc, but I thought this was a "im going to build it and use the hell out of it" kinda build.

On another note, I just got those same seats but in all black, they are great! I did end up paying $85 shipped for the brackets with sliders from Corbeau. I am interested to see how the brackets are going to work out for you, I was wondering myself if something like that could be done but I didnt have much time as I needed to get the seats installed for the cage builder. Are you going to use the stock seatbelts or did you get harnesses as well?

I haven't decided what I'm going to do for the belts... But I'm leaning towards the same setup as what I'm running in my Camaro, which has the four point Corbeau harnesses.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do for the belts... But I'm leaning towards the same setup as what I'm running in my Camaro, which has the four point Corbeau harnesses.

Exactly what I got, but now I kinda wish I would have got the 5pt belts. Are you going to keep the stock belts in place for use on the streets so you can still look behind you when changing lanes? Or is the plan to just mash the gas pedal and never look back?

Exactly what I got, but now I kinda wish I would have got the 5pt belts. Are you going to keep the stock belts in place for use on the streets so you can still look behind you when changing lanes? Or is the plan to just mash the gas pedal and never look back?

I've been able to make it work with my Camaro... I think I'll be fine with the Tour. Time will tell.

Take a hike OEM rear brake lines...

Take a hike OEM rear brake lines...

Finally tore the rear brake line mess out of the car. Used them as a pattern and bent new ones. Need to drop the rear subframe and susension tomorrow to access the remaining rear lines. Probably make it a point to clean up the rear and add my nice PRT upgrades and my ADDCO rear sway bar.

imag0298q.jpg
imag0302r.jpg

imag0300c.jpg

imag0301l.jpg

ah, steel brake lines. My least favorite thing to do. Looking great so far!

I would have liked to have gone with stainless steel lines, but I'm not convinced that I'd be able to bend them nicely. So I went with the next best thing, which was poly armour steel lines, which are exactly what comes from the factory. I figure since this car is never going to be driven in the winter I should be more then fine moving forward.

I would have liked to have gone with stainless steel lines, but I'm not convinced that I'd be able to bend them nicely. So I went with the next best thing, which was poly armour steel lines, which are exactly what comes from the factory. I figure since this car is never going to be driven in the winter I should be more then fine moving forward.

Very hard to to... Bend Stainless lines. Have them in my 87 Vette.

So, are you all done with painting everything? Figure you have a month to a month and a half of decent temps to do what you need to do with that area....hate to see you waiting to install everything over the winter because there was that one thing that needed paint. :)

So, are you all done with painting everything? Figure you have a month to a month and a half of decent temps to do what you need to do with that area....hate to see you waiting to install everything over the winter because there was that one thing that needed paint. :)

I'm going to install everything and then bring it in for paint. I'm not happy with how it was turning out. Since the engine bay and trunk area are painted as well as the door jambs I'll be able to install everything. Paint will most likely happen at a shop over the winter... or I'll have my friend paint the entire car in his garage either in a month or next spring. All depends on timing.

Back