• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

The gold will look good with the blue car. :cool: :drool:

Usually you do a partial cure of chrome base for a 10 minute bake, then put your translucent gold coat over while the part is still hot and finish out your next 15 minute full cure. This helps keep the trans gold top coat from seperating from the chrome base when the engine heats and cools. Hopefully it doesn't start to crack the translucent coat and might even peel from the chrome base......

The gold will look good with the blue car. :cool: :drool:

Usually you do a partial cure of chrome base for a 10 minute bake, then put your translucent gold coat over while the part is still hot and finish out your next 15 minute full cure. This helps keep the trans gold top coat from seperating from the chrome base when the engine heats and cools. Hopefully it doesn't start to crack the translucent coat and might even peel from the chrome base......

I guess I never had a problem with it in the past as that is the way I did my t-red valve covers. I do preheat all of the parts to a uniform 400°F (375°F for chrome) before I coat them though. In any case duly noted. Time didn't really allow for me to do everything at once as I'm typically working with 7pm-8:30/9:00pm for a time slot during the week.

Ok, sweet- that's good to know that your other stuff held up good. I had some translucent red topcoat crack over chrome :blackeye:. I can't wait to see that gem in the engine bay.

Front valve cover is completed now as well. Just need to sand blast the pulse wheel to clean it up of rust, had to use the one off of the donor SVT 2.5L I had in the garage. Next up is to assembly the windage trayand oil pick-up tube. Then weld up a new baffle plate for the oil pan.

frtvalvecovergold2.jpg

frtvalvecovergold1.jpg

From the first post in the thread.

Ignition
Accel Super Coil w/MSD DIS 4 - Post #189, Page 5
Talyor 8.2mm Thundervolt Wires

Most of the engine is now assembled. Just waiting on my oil pan baffling to be completed. Did run into one problem, which I'll address in another thread that I'll be creating.

prewindagetray.jpg
windagetray1.jpg

oilpcikup1.jpg

pulsewheel1.jpg

timingcover1.jpg

timingcoverinstall1.jpg

frontvalvecover1.jpg

rearvalvecover3.jpg

rearvalvecover1.jpg

rearvalvecover2.jpg

Well ran into another epic fail... fuel injectors with the caps puts the wire connection below the LIM so I am going to have to create a break in the injector harness so that I can install the harness onto the injectors prior to assembling the injectors to the LIM. This is the only way I can connect them. If I don't make a break in the harness it will be a bear in the future to service them.

EDIT: Picture to explain...

injectorcomparison.jpg

Last edited:
Mike,

Have you already applied the RTV on the timing cover and valve covers? I hope not. I find it best to assemble the timing cover, valve covers, and oil pan in very near sucession so that the RTV at all the junction points cures together.

While its certainly possible to have a leak free setup doing it piece-wise, ive found it more reliable to do them all together. Everything is so fresh and clean you probably wound not have any problems sealing them individually.

You had that much of a problem!? That is very weird. I did the timing cover and then the valve covers and will do the oil pan later. The gaskets do most of all the sealing. The RTV, well I used the Ford OEM sealer called out in the assembly manual, but it is only for the joints where parts come together. Shouldn't matter when you put them together or if you do them individually. As long as you've done proper surface prep leaks should not occur.

I've only ever done them at the same time. So, no history of issues. However, I read so many threads about valve cover, timing, and oil pan leaks, its the only way I go. At least with the engine out and on a stand. Being in the car, you go with what you have to.

I presume the issues that i read about are more due to poor surface prep than anything else.

Little more progress this weekend. Mostly waiting for this oil pan baffling GB to work itself out as I need it before final assembly of the oil pan. Sand blasted and painted a few odds and ends. Cleaned out the oil caked LIM pieces. Still amazed as to how well that oil worked itself into the plastic. I had to use Goo-be-gone to get the crap out. No dice on the engine degreaser or brake cleaner. Assembled a reman power steering pump and also installed the lift eyes.

pwrstrgpump3.jpg
pwrstrgpump1.jpg

pwrstrgpump2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks too good to put in the car.

Nah... it was built to enjoy not to win car shows... although I may give a shot at a few ;)

That said I finished my fuel injector harness and installed the LIM, injectors, and harness on the engine. I also mocked up the ST220 intake with the spacers to see how it looks... pretty badazz if I do say so myself. I didn't snap any pics, but I will in a couple of days.

Back