• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

This thing gonna be ready for car craft?

Hope so. Whether or not the paint work will be finished is another story.

All the wiring harnesses are back in the car. I ran into some issues bending the stainless steel line. This causes me to circle back and purchase additional hose fittings and braided line so I'm hoping that will be the last of my fuel issues. I have the whole dash installed back in the car. Right now I need to replace the shift cable assembly and then I can finish putting the rest of the interior in. Engine assembly is on hold until my brothers engine builder friend is available to come help me out, which I'm hoping is soon. I'm still striving to meet the 7/16th dyno date, but things are certainly slipping.

I've been stopping in to check your progress here and there and am really looking forward to seeing the finished product...keep it up!--even with all the other BS you have to deal with right now--saw your other post :(

I've been stopping in to check your progress here and there and am really looking forward to seeing the finished product...keep it up!--even with all the other BS you have to deal with right now--saw your other post :(

Yea I'm working through things as I can. Definitely diverting some effort because of these recent events. However I'm still trying to strive for the dates of CarCraft and the dyno tune.

Well I'm running behind on things, but the engine is going together next Sunday. I've got confirmation from my brother that his friend is available to assist with the assembly that Sunday. So if all goes well this thing should make some noise the week of 7/9.

Even if you missed your goals by a few weeks who cares. I think I missed mine by a year hah. I am still changing things up, upgrading and changing things. It never ends! I doubt it will run as well as you want at first, but even still youll get a good couple pulls and once you feel 10psi you will be a mad man to finish this up.

Long block, built. Need to buy new chaines and guides though... so cams won't go in until later this week.

imag0026vx.jpg

imag0027bc.jpg

imag0030hz.jpg

imag0031wp.jpg

imag0032s.jpg

imag0033zk.jpg

imag0036npx.jpg

imag0040bx.jpg

imag0042gt.jpg

I know this is gonna come off vain, but color you painting the long block?

I spot some turbo piping in those pics.

Great to see progress on the build.

Yea it's definitely been sloooowwwww. Putting this thing together. I'll be using that turbo piping for now for the sake of time, but rest assured I'll be making my own. I don't think that piping is going to support my goals with this car. It's almost frustrating as in the end when I'm going to be 'done' with this car I don't think I will have anything from the NPG kit on my car. I guess someone will get a good deal on it when I go to sell it, but that probably won't be for another year or two.

Picked up all new timing components today, installed the oil pump, and installed the cams on the right head...

Took apart the oil pump to have a look to see how the insides were... lubed it up and reassembled it. I was going to port the pump, but after talking with some Noble builders one of the shops actually ran some scatter plots on oil pressure data that they collected. The data and plots revealed that the OEM Ford oil pump was up to the task and that no modifications or upgrades were needed! So that saved me some time.

oilpump1.jpg

oilpump2.jpg

new lifters
lifters.jpg

lifters and rockers installed for exhaust cam
rockers1.jpg

exhaust cam installed (note purple lines were used to identify the Mondeo ST220 cams, which was the base for the Noble regrinds that I have)
cam1install2.jpg

intake cam lifters and rockers installed
cam1rockerslubed.jpg

cam1lubedrocker.jpg

intake cam installed
camgear2rear.jpg

cams2.jpg

cam gears set for timing
camgear2.jpg

Back