• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Not at all. I'm a true believer in sharing knowledge and how-to's for DIY people. Also it's actually not a price premium. It's a cost reduction ;) Discount steel was going to charge me $24 for a 12x12 piece of stainless, I bought this kick plate, which is 8x34, for $17.99 :cool: Just had to make sure it was going to work as it's 0.05", which is extremely close to the 0.055".....

Did you call Discount or go down there? They have a lot of shear left overs that they don't scrap, but keep in bins for customers to buy based on weight. It's usually odd sizes and sometimes odd shapes, but it's always a way better deal than the posted website price and the call-in pricing they give based on your size requirements. :cool:

Did you call Discount or go down there? They have a lot of shear left overs that they don't scrap, but keep in bins for customers to buy based on weight. It's usually odd sizes and sometimes odd shapes, but it's always a way better deal than the posted website price and the call-in pricing they give based on your size requirements. :cool:

Yea I've bought quite a bit from them... actually have an account too. I've picked up a lot of tubing from them as well as a few plates. However it was more convenient to just drive up to Menard's then to go all the way down town and pick through their scraps. Although I'll be doing that pretty soon when I go to start building my new cat-back.

I found some inspirational pics for your interior, thought I'd share:

525405_3637829510749_1424607135_33365206_752572991_n.jpg

547865_3637829230742_1424607135_33365204_1194913160_n.jpg

533022_3637828870733_1424607135_33365202_1550417668_n.jpg

539861_3637828630727_1424607135_33365200_2129274101_n.jpg

though if it where me I'd match the back seats to the front (black on the sides)

just thought it was interesting I hadnt noticed your building an ST....

hey mike, who made the pedal covers/floor plate? I got that too from a GB many years ago and its been bothering me I can't remember the manufacturer.

(btw, roush had a focus set where the left 2 work perfectly and are nicer looking. They liquidated inventory a few years ago and they went stupidly cheap... it might be worth looking for a set)

hey mike, who made the pedal covers/floor plate? I got that too from a GB many years ago and its been bothering me I can't remember the manufacturer.

(btw, roush had a focus set where the left 2 work perfectly and are nicer looking. They liquidated inventory a few years ago and they went stupidly cheap... it might be worth looking for a set)

strange you mentioned that, I was admiring them too...

strange you mentioned that, I was admiring them too...

Takke it you guys never visited the website for AutoVation... the sill plates match the pedals because AutoVation made my pedals too.

YES! I FINALLY, FINALLY have line of sight to getting things together. Received all of my needed ORB AN fittings and tube nuts & sleeves yesterday. Today I was able to get replacement Viton o-rings for the ORB fittings to handle the E85 running through them. Ridgid flaring tool came in on Monday. It's looking like this car is going to be running next month in time for a late birthday present to myself. Here is a run down on the upcoming events...

Week of 5/21 - remove and bend new ss fuel lines, cut and assemble PTFE ss braided lines
Week of 5/28 - lay in and extend as needed main engine bay harness w/distribution block, install interior harness and dash
Week of 6/4 - happy birthday to me (31 came pretty quick)... but this week is a loss as I'm traveling on business
Week of 6/11 - complete engine assembly, mate up to HMS trans, install engine/trans Sat.
Week of 6/18 - install turbo kit, fabricated new tubing, finish off cat-back exhaust mods
Week of 6/25 - inspect all connections, check for leaks, flash ECM with modded software, First fire by 6/30

7/16 - Dyno tune at DB Performance
7/20-22 - CarCraft Summer Nationals - MN State Fairgrounds
7/30 - First road racing debut at Brainerd International Raceway 3.1mile Donnybrooke Road Course

Last edited:
(from someone who has had his car off the road longer than you) your timeline seems quite ambitious. I hope you don't pursue any more sidetracks.. but please post tons of photos of what it takes to put in the new lines.

7/30 - First road racing debut at Brainerd International Raceway 3.1mile Donnybrooke Road Course

Taking bets as to how many laps he gets before his tires are shot. :)

And also taking bets to see if he can beat 180 mph:
The 3.1-mile Donnybrooke Road Course has 10 turns and is considered wide – the main straight is 60 feet wide. There is essentially no elevation change. BIR is a high-speed course; vehicles can reach speeds of nearly 180 mph and take the slowest corners around 80 mph. There are wide runoff areas at most of the corners, which makes BIR’s road course extremely safe.

(from someone who has had his car off the road longer than you) your timeline seems quite ambitious. I hope you don't pursue any more sidetracks.. but please post tons of photos of what it takes to put in the new lines.

It is ambitious I'll give you that. However I am motivated. Plus I now have all the parts I need (unless I break something). So it should just be an assembly exercise with no screwing around. As for the lines I already have all the major components out of the car. It's just going to be removing the existing lines, using it for a benchmark and bending the SS lines to follow the same path. So I am not anticipating any issues there. I'm mounting my pressure regulator in the spot where the EVAP solenoid was on the fire wall making use of the same mounting studs.

Taking bets as to how many laps he gets before his tires are shot. :)

And also taking bets to see if he can beat 180 mph:
The 3.1-mile Donnybrooke Road Course has 10 turns and is considered wide – the main straight is 60 feet wide. There is essentially no elevation change. BIR is a high-speed course; vehicles can reach speeds of nearly 180 mph and take the slowest corners around 80 mph. There are wide runoff areas at most of the corners, which makes BIR’s road course extremely safe.

I'll be installing Nitto NT01 tires on my track wheels... I should be good.

Last edited:
I'll be installing Nitto NT01 tires on my track wheels... I should be good.

Wish I was closer. Would be very interesting to watch that car go around the track. I will be finishing up my week long vacation on Pelican Lake up here when you go...don't think the wife would want to drive down to brainard to watch a contour. :( Just looked up those tires....looks like they are a great tire, hopefully they can give you some good traction when you put the hammer down. :) Is that just an open track day there since it is a monday?

PLEASE DONT FLIP IT ONE MONTH AFTER ASSEMBLY!

that said, try to get somebody to get some video of it on the track and host them to youtube, I really want to see how this thing looks and sounds on a high speed flyby....

Back