• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

HERES your awnser. 05 escape fuel rail. The link is a post on neco from him.

There you have it. 05 Escape fuel rail. No sense in going to anything else. I've also got a 05 ST220 fuel rail, but the pressure regulator is built onto the rail so I don't want to screw with it. That and the 05 Escape LIM has larger runners that match up better with my Extrude Honed ST220 UIM.

I just read this whole dang thing! Took about 4 days (its been really slow at work) but I finally finished it... That color blue was definitely a good choice! You could name your car Whiplash. That seems like a suitable name to me. Since this thing is going to be such a head turner :laugh:

I need to start putting the engine together... this weekend maybe? We shall see. I kind of what to have the fuel system installed first, but since I don't necessarily have all the funds to drop another $1200 on it at the moment... I don't know. Damn $500 fuel pump.

I need to start putting the engine together... this weekend maybe? We shall see. I kind of what to have the fuel system installed first, but since I don't necessarily have all the funds to drop another $1200 on it at the moment... I don't know. Damn $500 fuel pump.

what did I miss with the fuel pump? I saw you selling the aeromotive stealth and just originally thought you decided againts the dual pump set up? are you going to run an out of tank pump? I know stang killers cougar on NECO had a completely stand alone aftermarket fuel system besides for the tank, you might want to look into who owns that now. last I'd heard the car was being passed around like a miami hooker, having bits vultured off of it at as it went...

I nearly bought it, but when I found out the dash had been gutted and nobody knew the condition of the interior harness I realized it was a basket case...

I'm going with a single A1000 pn18668 Aéromotive pump, which will be in tank. I have to build a new holder though.

I'm going with a single A1000 pn18668 Aéromotive pump, which will be in tank. I have to build a new holder though.

oh wow, you should look into some other fords from the 90's. I know the 5.0 lincolns used a bigger fuel pump holder and it looked a lot like our mounting setup, it would need to be bent in order to be angled right though. it's also probably too long, but you get the idea. there may be something sort of off the shelf that could be adapted to work...

Yea I'm running into issues as the OEM tank has baffling, which only allows a mounting depth of ~5.75". The A1000 Stealth pump has a minimum mounting depth of 9.75". So I'm screwed on that front. That and it also requires a 4.5" flat surface for mounting. The factory assembly has only a 4.4" diameter mounting plate. So that said I may be back to three 340 Stealth pumps... which I'm not to excited about. Reason being if one of the pumps died on me I could potentially put the engine into a lean condition and not be able to react quick enough until it was too late. I'm still talking with the Aeromotive guys to see what they think. However another option I have is a local company called Full Blown, which deals with setups such as these. Might need to stop in and pick there brains since they are near my folks place. My brother swears by them, but they really only deal with Imports.

Yea I'm running into issues as the OEM tank has baffling, which only allows a mounting depth of ~5.75". The A1000 Stealth pump has a minimum mounting depth of 9.75". So I'm screwed on that front. That and it also requires a 4.5" flat surface for mounting. The factory assembly has only a 4.4" diameter mounting plate. So that said I may be back to three 340 Stealth pumps... which I'm not to excited about. Reason being if one of the pumps died on me I could potentially put the engine into a lean condition and not be able to react quick enough until it was too late. I'm still talking with the Aeromotive guys to see what they think. However another option I have is a local company called Full Blown, which deals with setups such as these. Might need to stop in and pick there brains since they are near my folks place. My brother swears by them, but they really only deal with Imports.

yeah, the baffling is a pita in a few ways. it took me a whole day to get my fuel back out of the contour with a hose, with the fuel pump out and going in that way. I dont even completely understand why they designed it the way they did. honestly, the fuel cell option mentioned above is starting to look like your best bet. and it makes the car closer to legit for a racing class of it's nature....

sort of puts a damper on trunk space though

Fuel cell.

I don't want to deal with a fuel cell. I want the same factory fill location, same factory pump location, etc.

Well after inspecting the fuel hanger assembly I think I'll probably build a new one. The hanger is made of steel and appears to be coated, which should stand up to with E85. However the fuel level sensor has a bent steel rod for the float and is not coated I've read on other forums about the contact corroding over. So I'm looking into Gill Sensors.

I took the current level sensor and measured it with an Fluke and it is indeed a linear output sensor. A full tank output is 22.4ohms and empty is 147.4ohms, which maps out perfectly to a 7 point map. So I'll be providing it to Gill Sensor to see if they can provide me with one of their champ car solid-state capacitive fuel level sensors built for alcohol fuels.

I'm not sure if this would help at all but on the returnless cars due to all the issues Ford released a tsb and a revised fuel pump assembly. Part of the installation involves a special 'Ford only' tool that dealerships have that cuts the lock ring/baffle out of the bottom of the tank. The new fuel pump assembly drops down and has a spring-loaded setup to push the pump housing to the bottom of the tank. The lock-ring on top of the tank then holds it all down.

Now, I've never had to do a pump in a return car so I'm not completely sure what the differences are aside from the obvious lack of a return fuel line on the returnless setup. But, if it is similar and you were able to/needed you could probably bring the car or tank to a Ford dealer and have them cut that ring out. It might buy you a little bit of room in the bottom of the tank or the ability to shift your pump setup to where you can make it work. Just a thought... :)

Not sure. I'm not familiar with the return tanks, but I've got to think that Ford wouldn't have invested into a tooling change for that tank. So one could reason to believe that the early 98 tanks and the returnless tanks are the same.

However I still don't know how I could almost double the depth that I've got. Grant it I never took a fuel tank out of a Contour (yet), I can't imagine it's 10" or more deep. The fuel pump hanger on the return setup does have a spring loaded deal on it, but it is for the fuel level sensor not the pump. Pics below...

fuelpumphanger1.jpg

fuelpumphanger2.jpg

The returnless pump locks into place with a lock ring at the bottom of the tank. The TSB pump (I believe the TSB was only for Cougars) locks into place at the top of the tank (like the OEM lid does) and has springs at the bottom to keep it in place. I can't tell from those pics how the return pump bottom is though.

And just to add.. there's no need for a Ford tool to remove the returnless bottom ring, you just need a thin body utility knife to cut 3 tabs. I've done this on two different CSVT's so far. I can't recall how deep the tank is but I thought it was fairly deep.

as usual, this thread delivers, with content far more complicated than I had ever previously expected.

so while your measuring new fuel level sensors, do you think it would be possible to reverse calculate for larger injectors to make an oem cougar dash read the correct miles till empty??

this is something that has bothered me, but I honestly dont have enough info to come to a conclusion on. I'll be keeping myself posted on these updates...

So here's a pic I found of what looks like the revised returnless pump... http://images.whisystems.com/smartpages/partinfo_resize/CTR/P74954M_ANG.jpg

It looks like they are similar but I'd almost be willing to bet that the tanks are different from return to returnless. It also looks like yours probably doesn't have the lock-ring in the bottom unless it is there and unused.

That's interesting about being able to remove the in-tank snap ring with just a thin utility knife. I had a hookup at a ford dealer when I did mine and he just brought the tool home and let me borrow it to cut the ring out.

Yea that is way different. I also found another company that can provide me a level sensor for $40 that is rated for E85. I think I will be using them.

Well after talking with Aeromotive more I think I'm back to their A1000 pump, but I'm going to use their external mounted version. So I'll be picking up the new level sensor from Wema that will be built to my specs and building a custom top hat replacement. That said say hello to my new top hat assembly (AN-10 feed and AN-08 return with a 100micron stainless steel sock from Fuel Lab)...

tanktophat.png

Last edited:
Back