• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Those things do work wonders. You will wonder how you managed so long with out one. Keep the thermostat set at around 50 or so in the winter and you will be fine. I just wish I had a large enough garage to put on in.

Well got the passenger doors on... MAJOR PITA. Scratched up the paint around the hinges... definitely going to have to go back in with a touch up gun or a detailing sprayer and fix it. Still having some issues getting the front passenger door to line up, but eh they're on. Should get the drivers side installed tomorrow, but I'm thinking I may wait till Sun. with the hopes of having one of my brothers help me out. The wife helped me put the passenger doors on, but she had some trouble getting the bolts started as I was holding the door for her. Don't want to go through that again. Anyway on with the pic.

passinstalled.jpg

Aligning doors are a serious PITA. I thought it was just me, good to know it's not LOL But yeah, it took probably 30 minutes, if not more, to line up my rear passenger door

Aligning doors are a serious PITA. I thought it was just me, good to know it's not LOL But yeah, it took probably 30 minutes, if not more, to line up my rear passenger door

Rear passenger door was easy for me. Just the front passenger door was a pain. Although I haven't installed the drivers side yet... so hopefully that goes easier.

I think you went with the right color for the car. That looks great....sort of reminds me of the metallic teal on my 95...but better. :)

Well the doors are on, but I haven't been able to install the door latches because I still need to paint the door handles. Need to find a solution for the handle pivot pins for lack of a better term. They appear to just be an 1/8" aluminum rod. I may have to create new ones from some rod stock and recrimp the ends after I assemble the handles again. Kind of a pain in the butt. Here are pics of the doors installed. Pretty happy with everything. Although I still need to wet sand and buff the doors to get rid of the orange peel.

doors1d.jpg

driverinstalled.jpg

passadjusted.jpg

Just an update since it has been quite a while...

Finally got my garage heater put up this past weekend. Had to get my dad out to help host the thing up major PITA. I routed the duct work and gas lines on Sunday and picked up all of the electrical components today. Hopefully will have it fired up by tomorrow afternoon. Then onward to winter build glory ;)

heaterinstall.jpg

Finally got my garage heater put up this past weekend. Had to get my dad out to help host the thing up major PITA. I routed the duct work and gas lines on Sunday and picked up all of the electrical components today. Hopefully will have it fired up by tomorrow afternoon. Then onward to winter build glory ;)

Looks good Mike! How many BTU's is that bad boy? Is your ceiling insulated too? I'm working on hooking my garage furnace up right now as well (duct work done last Friday, hooking up electric this week and maybe gas this weekend). They sure are a PITA to hoist up in the air :laugh:

Looks good Mike! How many BTU's is that bad boy? Is your ceiling insulated too? I'm working on hooking my garage furnace up right now as well (duct work done last Friday, hooking up electric this week and maybe gas this weekend). They sure are a PITA to hoist up in the air :laugh:

It's big... 75,000BTU. I sized it for the garage on my new house... whenever I can finish the basement on this one and move on. However it will do nicely in my garage now as it is only half insulated (side that meets the house). Although I may put insulation up in the rafters. As I want to put up some plywood so I can move around easier up there and gain some extra storage space for things that are not used very often. Adding insulation at that point wouldn't be much work at all. My dad and I hoisted it up on top of the two step ladders we were using. Then I had already drove the carriage bolts down from the top so all we had to do was lift it from the top of the ladder and position it over the bolts... then I quick hand started the nuts and we could rest it on them. Worked out pretty slick. However I could not have done the job by myself.

That's okay, I got a huge one too :laugh: You don't have to have a certain amount of clearance around yours from combustible materials? Mine says something like 6" from the top, 12" rear, 18" sides or something like that I think.

Wow. What a build. So much attention to detail. Nice job CSVT#49, I'm looking forward to seeing this bad boy complete. I take it your Expe is your DD?

That's okay, I got a huge one too :laugh: You don't have to have a certain amount of clearance around yours from combustible materials? Mine says something like 6" from the top, 12" rear, 18" sides or something like that I think.

No it has clearances too, but no where near that much.

Top - 1"
Sides - 1"
Access panel - 18"
Bottom - 0"
Rear 18"
Single wall vent - 6"

The top has the brackets that come with the heater, which already provide the 1" clearance. The rear has 18" and the sides have about 7" if you measure at an angle, otherwise they are closer to 20" I would imagine. I'm also using double wall vent so the 6" doesn't apply, but I meet it anyway.

Wow. What a build. So much attention to detail. Nice job CSVT#49, I'm looking forward to seeing this bad boy complete. I take it your Expe is your DD?

Used to be. I now have a 97 Civic DX that I have as a DD. The Expedy has been moved to hauler status.

Last edited:
Back