• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Well one of the doors took a little more cleaning and then taping the rear doors took too long because I like to take my time with everything... so I only got the doors sprayed with primer/sealer so looks like I'll be scuffing them up to paint them tomorrow afternoon... I got to say though... this painting gig isn't to bad. Now that I've got the swing of things that is, have to thank my brother and a colleague at work for showing me the ropes though.

doorsprimed.jpg

Got the inside of the doors finished tonight. Looking good. Everything went smooth with the exception of two mosquito's and a couple gnats, which I had to remove with tweezers and touch up. However even that cleaned up fine so I'm pretty happy. Should be able to paint the other side of the doors on Sat/Sunday.

On with pics...

Base coat
base1.jpg

base2v.jpg

drvrfrtbase3.jpg

drvrrearbase4.jpg

Clear Coat (only one shot turned out... too much vapor in the air, which made them cloudy)
psgrrearclear7.jpg

The mess... complete with my custom gun stand made from two coat hangers, which were previously used for holding parts while I powder coated them ;)
supplies.jpg

Last edited:
Is the car done yet?:laugh:. Your going to put down to many ponies to count:crazy:

Nope... been putting time into the 97 Civic I bought for a DD. Just cleaned it up. I'll probably be finishing up the doors at my friends garage since he has a nice heated one.

Never looked at black... but you can on their website House of Kolor - Shimrin Designer Pearls ;)

awesome, thanks for the link, they had a lot of cool colors, but nothing quite as much like real annodized black or hematite as I've been able to find in powder coats. if HoK doesnt have a good color, that sort of seals my fate. looks like powder coat for me! thanks man! </hijack>

Brought the passenger side doors to my friends place today. I've got the drivers side doors loaded in the truck and will be dropping them off tomorrow. Scheduled to paint the outside parts of them on Sat. and should have them installed on the car come Monday afternoon. Transmission should get shipped off to Terry Haines on Sunday morning or Tuesday afternoon... so I'm thinking the car should be set to fire up by mid Jan. Stay tuned for more pics!

when your ready for first fire you should invite a few of us local guys over.

Glad to see your building the trans up. I am sure the one you had would have been fine, but for the amount of money and power this thing is going to have it would be silly to not slap a fully built trans in there while your at it since your going all out on everything else. Also cant wait to see pics of the CF roof, hood, and trunk all together. Are you still going to be making a hood with the vents in it for heat extraction?

Glad to see your building the trans up. I am sure the one you had would have been fine, but for the amount of money and power this thing is going to have it would be silly to not slap a fully built trans in there while your at it since your going all out on everything else. Also cant wait to see pics of the CF roof, hood, and trunk all together. Are you still going to be making a hood with the vents in it for heat extraction?

Yes. I was going to get in on that CF hood GB and then add in heat extractors after I got it, but looks like that wasn't such a great deal. I'm working on getting a natural gas heater for my garage so I can work on the CF parts over the winter. The plan as of right now is a power bulge hood with heat extractors.

Also since I'm in here... doors pretty much finished...

doorssprayed1.jpg

doorssprayed2.jpg

doorssprayed3.jpg

Last edited:
its that bone stock 90 civic ex getting a set of DC headers?

It's actually a 97 Civic DX. It's getting a 4-2-1 header down pipe setup. Only reason why that is, is because the OEM down pipe was busted all around just behind the oil pan. The replacement down pipe was going to cost me $65. So I opted to buy a stainless steel header and downpipe off of eBay for $10 + $35 shipping :laugh:

Well the dang Civic is almost out of the garage. I need to weld an O2 sensor bung in the right place and then I can install the secondary O2 sensor and get the thing out. Mean while I picked up the following ;)

75,000 BTU natural gas Mr. Heater
172645_lg.jpg

Lincoln Electric WeldPak 180 HD welder
15565.K2515-1_4.jpg

SO yea. CF parts will be made this winter. The car will be getting a cage, and front end enhancements :cool:

Last edited:
Back